rattling guitar

hofner

Whenever i play the G and B strings , i can hear a rattling sound from the bridge...umm is it natural?

Have a look at the saddles for those strings and make sure they are not loose. Also check to see whether those two strings are closer to the fretboard (lower action) than the remainder of the strings. Raising these strings will increase the action and tension and may prevent the rattle.

Try this and get back to me.

cheers,

mark.

hofner said:
Whenever i play the G and B strings , i can hear a rattling sound from the bridge...umm is it natural?

Rattling sound that you describe normally would be present in some low cost guitars machine heads, due to the effects of certain frequency of certain string vibration, condusive to mechincal disturbances. Other places rattling is also possible.
Should not affect your playing but some of the resulting harmonics could be amplified when plugged in. But so far, I yet hear of any guitarist complaining that it does affect the sound.
If you really find it irritating, try to pin point the exact point of rattling vibration by pressing on the affect part to confirm it's the one (ie if you press, it stops rattling). See if you can stick something like a sponge to buffle the vibration. If you are not confident, always bring it to a pro to fix it. Else if you can live with it, just live with it.

I can refer you to professional help. Just contact me 97337161. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike

hofner said:

:lol: One more possibility. If your bridge is vintage tremolo type, each saddle uses 2 allen screws to prop it up. if one screw is too loose, it dangles and causes imbalance. A proper setup is called for to remedy it.

another possibility is that those bridge string saddles are in contact with each other- that happened to one of my ibanez units. on your next re-string, adjust accordingly so that they are apart. this happens if you tinker with your string action & isn't a severe anomaly. if the need arises, just sand off the surface of the saddles that are in contact. 8)

are there any thing i can do to cehck if the action of all the strings are equal? I tried lifting it up and looking at it sideways.....i can't see properly.

strings height wont be equal most of the time. All the strings height are set up differently and there is usually a curve sharp across the low E to the high E string near the bridge area.

There are some sites on net that have the string height table. Most of the time, the string height is up to the player and thus the table serve as a guide only.

The 2 sites below might be of some help

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/action.htm
http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm

i got beez to fix it for me just now...tension was the prob...i didn't screw in the screws at the back deep enough...now its ok.

Latest posts

Back