qn about phantom power's effect...

blackductape

hey guys. wanna ask about whether phantom power feed will damage my sm-57 or not. cause i got my m-audio mobilepre (2 channels) with me here and if i switch on the phantom power, both the channels will be powered. the problem is i wanna put a condensor (which needs phantom power) on one channel and an sm-57 on the other, and i scared that the 48v will damage my 57. its my first time trying it like this, and im not really sure, so yeah, advise or answers or solutions are much appreciated. :)

actually that occured to me numerous times. there're even times when I leave my phantom power on, and I plug in a dynamic mic.

ppl told me before that it'll "blow up" your mic. but even when I've plugged in by accident it works fine. so I'm okay ever since..

this post pretty much doesn't answer your question ,but at least it lowers the percentage of possibility on +48V damaging dynamic mic.

so I await someone who's more experienced to answer too.

cheers

20¢ worth.

Providing dynamic microphones are balanced types and wired with twin screened all the way through the phantom power will do no physical harm. So there should be no problem with most popular dynamics with correct balanced wiring. Modern dynamic microphones with balanced connectors are constructed so that the microphone element is completely floating so adding phantom power voltages does not affect it when you are using proper balanced cabling.

Many older dynamic mics have a center tap of the transformer in the mic grounded to the body of the mic, and to the shield of the cable. This could short the phantom voltage to ground, and could fry the transformer. It is easy to tell if this is the case with your mics. An ohmmeter or continuity checker will tell you if there is a DC circuit between either pin #2 or #3 and the cable shield (pin #1) or the mic housing. If so, don't use that mic with the phantom turned on. Good luck.

Do not try to connect microphones with unbalanced conenctor to a microphone input with phantom power on, because the current from the pahntom power supply will flow though your microphone and can damage it.

taken from http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html

actually, the best is to consult Shure, since there are the one who produce the microphone.
on the another, it also concern if you cables are properly wired.

Back