Proof of Evolution

I can't believe the arrogance of your post... so I presume you are a scientist of some sort? I.Q. of at least 200? you are not even a senior member of the forum to be saying thing like that

He's smarter than you, I know him. So suck it up and accept the fact.

Morlock said:
How do you know that the earth is billions of years old?

Radiocarbon Dating you dimwit.

It works EXACTLY the same way. The evolution is not drastic if it took more than 50 milllion years. Theres no way one big brick can become the pyramid of Giza, but with time....*dramatic face*

Haha, I know where you are coming from. I guess most of us who are following this thread closely would have gathered that the probability of such occurence is very small, close to impossible, unless time = eterinty (that means to say a very very very very very very long time like 50 million years, anyway, anyone wants to buy my lovepedal eternity?). The probability of it is slim, thus I feel it is not possible.

I want to reply all the time, its fun. Unless you have evidence AGAINST the evolution of whales from land mammals, then "I don't think such a drastic change is possible" is not really a good answer

The "I dont think such a drastic change is possbile" is solely my opinion, and I have such an inclination towards this statement because I feel the probability of a drastic evolution over time (the drastic evolution here refers to successive evolution over a long time, not a single event) is so slim that I am uncomfortable with it. For me, I have explained that I am comfortable with my beliefs and they are good enough answers for me, what has it got to do with you? I may appear firm in what I said, but I have not forced the "I dont think such a drastic change is possbile" statement down anyone's throat, but you have persisted in convincing me otherwise? Why? Am I a such pushover?

lol they kinda forced their religion on me too by insisting evolution is untrue and creationism is right. How would you react to someone that said the holocaust never happened? I don't think by disproving creationism I'm behaving the same way like them by 'forcing my belief' unto them. I see myself as the historian to the conspiracy theorist, the geographer to flat-earther, the rational one to the superstitious one

I dont think any creationist here has tried to prove that creation is true, because like someone else said here earlier, they cannot even remotely prove the existence of their creator.At worst, they sound more like they are trying to prove that evolution is untrue, but not the latter half. Either case, I am sorry for your frustration, I hope I have not appear to force my beliefs on you.

If you feel offended by the "insisting evolution is untrue and creationism is right", then others may also feel offended when you repeatedly try to convince everyone that evolution is true and disprove religion. In this view, how are you different from those people you detest?

When you said "I see myself as the historian to the conspiracy theorist, the geographer to flat-earther, the rational one to the superstitious one", it shows that you are clearly in the first place biased. You have refered yourself as a "hero" and those who disagree as "villians", and this kinda suggest a narcissistic, egocentric and superiority complex in you. If you already have such a preconception about others and yourself, then I feel a discussion with you is redudant.

Of course, you are entitled to the opinion that you dont think that you are behaving like the same way as them. But frankly, this is not the same I feel about you, judging from the post above.

No scientist has ever claimed that evolution adds genes to the already existing DNA, like mammals evolving gills. thats why dolphins and whales have lungs not gills

You sure? Apparently, this textbook (which is sitting beside me) called "Biochemistiry", 6ed, by Jeremy M. Berg, John L Tymoczko, Lubert Stryer, page 783, the chapter 28 on DNA replication, repair and recombination, says that errors in DNA replication (especially during meiosis and in gametes) or damaged DNA can lead to genetic disorders and mutations, and they have the possibility of being passed from one generation to another. If you can think that, given 50 million years, land-dwelling mammals can evolve into whales, why not given another 50 million years, successive mutations can eventually (and incidentally) develop gills for whales?

*Here are the lists of errors that can add or minus genes from the genome of an organism:

-chromosomal translocation
-chromosomal insertion
-failure of chromosome segregation during telophase of meiosis II
-frameshift mutation due to point addition or deletion of nucleotides in polynucleotide chain.
-Damage to repair mechanism like nucleotide-excision repair
-with alternate splicing of mRNA, leading to rapid protein evolution, it is also possible for an organism to mutate even when the genome is untouched by defects and alterations.

Any of these mutations above can lead to evolution, when other factors such as selection pressure and what not come into the picture. So it will seem that evolution can happen quite easily. But most mutations are bad, and a "good" mutation is remote. "Good" mutation coupled with favourable selection pressure is even less likely. "Good" mutation coupled with favourable selection pressure, and then repeat itself several times over many many years, the probability is not very high, in my opinion.

Last edited:
er guys shall we stay on course and avoid argument on words and personal attacks?
this was about "Proof of Evolution" and just for the record someone assumed it was evolution vs creation when no one even started off promoting creationism.

Last edited:
er guys shall we stay on course and avoid argument on words and personal attacks?
this was about "Proof of Evolution" and just for the record someone assumed it was evolution vs creation when no one even started off promoting creationism.

Sorry, I was just making a light-hearted joke. But nonetheless it's a law of the Net that bringing up evolution invariably brings up the Creationism debate.

good, but if a designer did design the life on this planet, he/she/it did a terrible job. a marine animal without gills? a land animal without legs?

Yes, but whales have extremely large lungs to compensate that lack of gills. I'm not sure how long they can stay underwater between breathes, but I'm pretty sure its more than an hour at least. So, how can you say that the designer did a terrible job?

He's smarter than you, I know him. So suck it up and accept the fact.

Radiocarbon Dating you dimwit.

http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/carbondatingac_szhq.htm

Read This you dimwit! Carbon Dating has a lot of problems.

Let me just quote an excerpt from the website:

"Although the theory of radiocarbon dating is interesting, there are several inherent problems with the process. The first of these problems is the fact that the original ratio of carbon and radioactive carbon is unknown. The second problem is that the possibility of contamination
of the sample over time is quite high. The older the sample the higher the probability of contamination, in fact! What this means is that using carbon dating to date very old samples is really quite impractical given our current level of knowledge and technological capabilities."

taken from: http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/carbondatingac_szhq.htm

How old are you? Please finish high school first before replying again.

yes, if whales didnt have gills, where did they come from? a land dwelling animal. good point. next qns where did the land dwelling animal come from and so on and so forth? just keep going further back, and you are presented with the problem: how did single cell/multicellular organisms become the higher mammals that we know? You mean the multicell organism somehow over time acquired genes for skin, teeth etc?

i just posted this qns to a pHD prof in my office who deals with molecular biology, these were his comments:

1. besides point mutation, viruses can add genetic sequences (to simple cellular organisms)
2. Eukaryotic cells fusing with prokaryotic cells (mitochondria). example of how symbiotic fusing could have accelerate evolution.
3. Natural selection always favors genetic stability (similar to what i mentioned)
4. Rate of mutation in higher organisms is very very low.

beyond this he has no other explanation also how multicellular organisms can take on the genes needed to "scale up" to e.g. a small rat or worm.

Ok so we don't know how we got from point A to point B, but we know how we got from point B to Point Z. And now scientists are trying to figure out how we got from point A to B. They're working on it. We know we evolved from point B to Z, whats your point with us not understanding A to B when B to Z has already been explained? The first step might be hard to explain but we are sure it happened when all the other steps already happened

Last edited:

"Although the theory of radiocarbon dating is interesting, there are several inherent problems with the process. The first of these problems is the fact that the original ratio of carbon and radioactive carbon is unknown. The second problem is that the possibility of contamination
of the sample over time is quite high. The older the sample the higher the probability of contamination, in fact! What this means is that using carbon dating to date very old samples is really quite impractical given our current level of knowledge and technological capabilities."

radiocarbon dating might not be able to give you a pinpoint accuracy of the date, but it can definitely tell you that the earth is a lot older than 10,000 years old.

Please state your sources...

my sources say that :

Radio carbon dating can only provide accuracy up to 5730 years...

Got it from :
http://contenderministries.org/evolution/carbon14.php

Excerpt:
"Carbon has a weight of twelve atomic mass units (AMU’s), and is the building block of all organic matter (plants and animals). A small percentage of carbon atoms have an atomic weight of 14 AMU’s. This is carbon-14. Carbon-14 is an unstable, radioactive isotope of carbon 12. As with any radioactive isotope, carbon-14 decays over time. The half-life of carbon 14 is approximate 5,730 years. That means if you took one pound of 100 percent carbon-14, in 5,730 years, you would only have half a pound left. "

also from a non Christian source:
http://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/carbon-dating.htm

Ok so we don't know how we got from point A to point B, but we know how we got from point B to Point Z. And now scientists are trying to figure out how we got from point A to B. They're working on it. We know we evolved from point B to Z, whats your point with us not understanding A to B when B to Z has already been explained? The first step might be hard to explain but we are sure it happened when all the other steps already happened

arent you coming back to what i've mentioned that it also takes a certain amount of faith to believe in evolution because not all of it is proven?

Hi taypeng81,

I think the prof is trying to be neutral. I suspect Singaporean academic staffs are suppose to be neutral in contentious discussions like this. I once asked Dr Lam Siew Hong of NUS (through a school forum), and his response was rather similar. His answer was something like "Oh, these are the mechanisms that can alter genetic sequences: <insert lists here>. Whether or not a combinations of these factors cause an evolution is really up to your own beliefs."

I didnt ask him in the same way this thread started. i checked with him about dna replication and mutation and then posted the qns to him, how is it possible for a multi-cell organism e.g. ameoba to take on the genes needed to become e.g. a worm?
he gave the same explanation, over millions and millions of year but they are not sure how.

Excerpt:
"Carbon has a weight of twelve atomic mass units (AMU’s), and is the building block of all organic matter (plants and animals). A small percentage of carbon atoms have an atomic weight of 14 AMU’s. This is carbon-14. Carbon-14 is an unstable, radioactive isotope of carbon 12. As with any radioactive isotope, carbon-14 decays over time. The half-life of carbon 14 is approximate 5,730 years. That means if you took one pound of 100 percent carbon-14, in 5,730 years, you would only have half a pound left.

Carbon-14 has a short half-life, yes. But you don't find carbon-14 in most ancient rocks-for example the plains in Siberia.

yes, if whales didnt have gills, where did they come from? a land dwelling animal. good point. next qns where did the land dwelling animal come from and so on and so forth? just keep going further back, and you are presented with the problem: how did single cell/multicellular organisms become the higher mammals that we know? You mean the multicell organism somehow over time acquired genes for skin, teeth etc?

Actually, we should first question how did single-cell organisms originate in the first place.

I remembered watching a documentary which scientists tried to create single-cell organisms with water and electricity(Earth-like conditions).

Actually, we should first question how did single-cell organisms originate in the first place.

I remembered watching a documentary which scientists tried to create single-cell organisms with water and electricity(Earth-like conditions).

i dont actually know much about that but scientist theorize that at one point the earth was in a chaotic state with lightning flashing frequently and the atmosphere was full of ammonia, methane and hydrogen. Under these conditions, the lightning+atmosphere formed amino acids.

in this primordial soup of amino acids, they came together (somehow) to form proteins and the eventual metabolic systems and pathways all contained within a cell membrane. I read this in a book i believe the title was "origins of life".

personally i would raise a few questions about this:

1. enzymes work by attaching to a bond in a chemical in a "lock and key" fashion ..What are the chances then for an enzyme to come together with a complementary bond + continue to do so in a cycle involving other enzymes and somehow end up in a cell totally by chance? by chance because there is no God/designer behind it. emphasis also on "lock and key".

2. assumption is made on earth's atmosphere. i believe there is no geological evidence for an ammonia rich atmosphere on earth or someone might say its too long ago for any evidence to remain.

2. assumption is made on earth's atmosphere. i believe there is no geological evidence for an ammonia rich atmosphere on earth or someone might say its too long ago for any evidence to remain.

I agree with this ammonia part. I highly find it unlikely that our atmosphere used to contain ammonia.

Even in neighbouring planets, ammonia makes up no part of their atmospheres.

Lame. How about YOU finish high school before replying? How is that site even remotely academic?

Last edited:
Please state your sources...

my sources say that :

Radio carbon dating can only provide accuracy up to 5730 years...

Got it from :
http://contenderministries.org/evolution/carbon14.php

Excerpt:
"Carbon has a weight of twelve atomic mass units (AMU’s), and is the building block of all organic matter (plants and animals). A small percentage of carbon atoms have an atomic weight of 14 AMU’s. This is carbon-14. Carbon-14 is an unstable, radioactive isotope of carbon 12. As with any radioactive isotope, carbon-14 decays over time. The half-life of carbon 14 is approximate 5,730 years. That means if you took one pound of 100 percent carbon-14, in 5,730 years, you would only have half a pound left. "

also from a non Christian source:
http://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/carbon-dating.htm

Are you an idiot or an idiot?

READ WHERE THE SUPPOSEDLY NON CHRISTIAN SOURCE GET'S IT'S INFORMATION YOU MANIAC.

D. R. Humphreys, J. R. Baumgardner, S. A. Austin, and A. A., Snelling, "Helium diffusion rates support accelerated nuclear decay," in Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Creationism, R. Ivey, Ed., Creation Science Fellowship, Pittsburgh, PA, 2003. See also: Walt Brown, In the Beginning, 2001, p. 75, under "Constant Decay?"
Brown, ibid, p. 246.

Creation science? Talk about oxymorons. Go back to your dungeons and start your holy wars and inquisitions! The modern world has no place for backward scum like you!

"The half-life of carbon 14 is approximate 5,730 years. That means if you took one pound of 100 percent carbon-14, in 5,730 years, you would only have half a pound left."

That's exactly why we use Carbon-14 to date stuff you dimwit.

Last edited:
Back