Picking

Nazman

ive been playing guitar for a year now, and i seem to get tired quickly play master of puppets rhythm for the first minute

does james alternate/tremolo pick or continously strum down?

is it a hard song which needs lots of practice picking down or do i just suck?

A lil youtube shows that he does it downpicking all the way. Practice man. The rhythm part of the song isn't that hard, it's tiring. If you want even more tiring even with alternate strokes, try Angel of Death by Slayer. I get tired the time Tom screams. Lol.

I've been playing for years, and I can't even nail the song with the proper tempo and everything. Don't worry, whether you suck or not, I suck even worse...

Yeah, for 'Master of puppets', it's all down-picking. Down-picking very fast and alt-picking sound different in my opinion... I've tried alt-picking, but I find that it's difficult to have consistency when alt-picking that slow. 'Master of puppets' seems to be right in the middle. Too fast for down-picking, and too slow for alt-picking.

My advice would be to keep working at it. Don't take shortcuts, use down-strokes all the way like on the record, but start slow and slowly build up. Don't play along with the record just yet. It takes a lot of time and practice to get that fast. As for me, it doesn't matter since I don't play metal anymore. But for you, keep at it...

It's the first song I learnt. Hehe. On a Toyo acoustic. The guitar's bridge already popped out due to hitting the string too hard. I didn't know about palm muting. Haha.

Back