People telling you you can't sing. -- Inspiration thread!

Yeah, those tracks that you've heard on my reverbnation.com profile are like 6 months old. After checking out soft, i think i'm improving a teeny bit.

Well, lol, song writing. I used to have a lyricist. But most of these are just stuff i randomly write from past experiences. Edit them bit by bit so that it sounds normal and rhymes. LOL...

But yeah thanks. =) I'm always on the lookout for ways to improve my singing.

Well, bout brther, i really have no idea what to say. =S

Hi Sage!

I heard your singing. I wonder who ever mentioned to you that you can't sing. The fact is you can sing!! But more practice will make you an even better singer. You've got your own style and that is good. Is that a song you wrote on your own? Well, you know I only listen to the oldies not so much of the new stuffs now a days.

For this, I must say for those who tell you that you can't sing are obviously envious of you. No worries, you're there!! You're definitly not those who think they can sing. You know you can sing and others too. About all those theories on singing. Hmm...I really can't make it out. Enjoy the singing and feel it and I'm sure you don't need all those stupid theories. You're not one of them but you're one of us!

Ankh

hey sage,wateva it is,just wanted to say,ur story was a real inspiration.sometimes i do feel like giving me cos like there doesnt seem to be much progress which gets a lil fustrating.so thanks for sharing apart of ur life =)

hey sage,wateva it is,just wanted to say,ur story was a real inspiration.sometimes i do feel like giving me cos like there doesnt seem to be much progress which gets a lil fustrating.so thanks for sharing apart of ur life =)

You're welcome sweetie *hugs* I'm glad sharing it helped..

Ankh: Yeap those are originals :p Fully done by me, sadly cos I'm not too pro on the guitar :/ I just had a wing off recording and was fooling around... it's not a perfect take cos it was a rough, maybe I'll rerecord and do it up proper next time... Thanks for listening and thanks for the remarks :}

Of course my dear grandson! You're one of us! When I listen to you I know who you are in singing. You're not even close to one of them!

Ankh
Err... Ok thanks Atuk... But, the last part pening sikit (confusing a bit).

You know who am i in singing? And i'm not close to one of them.

Atuk, you last time either damn good song writer or damn confusing riddler eh...

Err... Ok thanks Atuk... But, the last part pening sikit (confusing a bit).

You know who am i in singing? And i'm not close to one of them.

Atuk, you last time either damn good song writer or damn confusing riddler eh...

Hahaha....!! Well Khai, people my age talk doesn't straight to the point. 'Banyak berkias'. Was a song writer for some local and Malaysian singers. As I've sold my rights to some recording companies I can't name anyone of them. A clue would be a bright Singaporean who made it big in Malaysia was in a band named Explorer once in Singapore. Of course, it's a simple clue. Just translate the band name to Malay and you'll know who he is. But never mention here in the open. Hahahaha.....!!

Here's one I wrote long ago which I didn't sell it :

Hidup bagaikan satu perjuangan
Yang lemah yang gagah turut pertahankan
Alah menang perkara biasa
Kerana itu mainan dunia

Just one verse, or you'll get bored to death. It's all about life.

Ok, just simplify my earlier terms. What I meant I know who you are in Singing when I heard you is. You are a born singer. You're one of us (real musicians and singers). You're not even close to anyone of them(who think, they can sing or play. But reality suck! Then come up with excuses and theories to defend their suckness! Had achieve a beautiful voice which was only noticed by himself. Hahahaha....!!)

In life, you don't need to correct anyone if those people don't wish to realise. So, you're not losing anything and those guys would never achieve anything. Asal dorang bahagia suah...!!

Ankh

Ankh :O Are you the guy who wrote the national anthem?

I'm kidding I'm kidding!!! *runs quick*
He used to be a family friend of my granddad when he was working at BMG tho.. missed those days, get to meet calebs.. Cliff Richard kissed me when I popped by at the studio once.. at that time I was still a kid but years later I was Schwing! at the thought. Lol I love cliff richard...

As I've said before, there are people who can sing and they are people who think they can sing. Which category do you fall into? Well, I'd be filled with joy if you could prove me wrong like where you get paid nitely to sing in a pub with that kind of voice.

Ankh

Neither category, Ankh :)

I know that I can't sing right now. And I know that I will be able to sing after I train. That's the third category.

;)dont give up .... hey my voice sux too but it hasnt stopped me from fronting several bands....

I just came across this thread although it's been posted for quite a while (only because I haven't logged on to soft in months).. Anyway I feel the need to say alot in response to this so I hope you could all bear with me.. ;)

Firstly, Kak Sage I never knew you're female.. Hehe.. The nick kinda misled me.. Then again, my nick has misled other soft peeps too.. But one thing's for sure, YOU are an inspiring character to me..
I'm a 20 year old girl who just loved to sing.. In everything I do, I always think about singing.. Before I sleep, when I wake up in the morning, during my showers and basically at any time..
I started singing casually back when I was 11, mostly because my cousins would sabo me to sing during weddings.. Haha.. Then I joined the talentime in school when I was in Sec 1.. That's when I realised I loved singing..
But like you, I've had people telling me I couldn't sing because they claimed my voice is too 'common'.. So I tried to get over singing..
Then I got inspired by Whoopi Goldberg's quote in Sister Act 2 where she said, "If you can think of nothing but singing, then you're a singer".. After that, I told myself I had to prove to people that I could sing but I still wasn't good then..
It was until I went for vocal classes with a very young trainer who had so much faith in me that I told myself I needed to have faith in my capability to sing.. I practised real hard everytime since then, trying the most difficult of songs and convincing myself that someday somehow, I could be as good as a professional singer..
I then got into bands where I sing the lead and slowly, I've had people nodding in approval of my singing.. Especially when one of those people who approved was my mum..
She's always been there for my gigs and even singing along to the songs I sing form the crowd..
Sadly, my stepdad hasn't been able to approve me of my singing yet.. He still thinks I'm not good enough.. :( I am still trying ever so hard to get his approval..

Anyways, as much as I've improved so much in singing, I still do have some problems which I feel is hindering my potential.. I think it's mainly because of my pitching problems and also the fact that people tagged me with other professional singers..
I mean it's good to hear people comment about how I sound like Gwen Stefani, Dolores O'riordan and Rihanna but I really want to be known as myself.. I want to be able to sing with a unique voice so that everytime someone hears my voice, they'll know it's me singing.. Do you think that'll ever be possible?

I sure would love some tips from you and other fellow singers of Soft.. Hope it's not too much to ask for and I sure hope I haven't bore anyone with this really long entry of mine.. ;)

Then I got inspired by Whoopi Goldberg's quote in Sister Act 2 where she said, "If you can think of nothing but singing, then you're a singer".. After that, I told myself I had to prove to people that I could sing but I still wasn't good then..

:D I love that line.
Thanks for your post and your compliment, it was lovely of you to say that :)

I want to be able to sing with a unique voice so that everytime someone hears my voice, they'll know it's me singing.. Do you think that'll ever be possible?

In my opinion it is possible, just that it'll come in due time.. It helps tremendously if you try singing on originals, helps break away from the stereotype voice if you're doing covers alot, but it's definitely possible. Keep trying, there's always a label on each person's voice when they start out, but then again we all have our vocal inspirations to model upon what. I hope it doesn't pull you down and instead motivates you to try harder. :}

BTW, check out the thead "vocal hangout" k? Would love to see you there and we can discuss these things :}

Last edited:
Yup RGmotion. Me and Sage would really appreciate another memberz in organising it.

But yeah, i know me noob but to be honest, don't bother bout what other people feel. Just do what u think you do best at and ask those who are better. =)

don't bother bout what other people feel. Just do what u think you do best at and ask those who are better. =)

Thanks Abg Khai.. :) That is indeed what I'm trying to do now.. I mean I still appreciate constructive criticisms but I've learnt to have faith in myself too.. You have my word though that I never ever fall into the category "cockenaden" that Kak Sage mentioned.. ;)

Here's another thing that I might need alot of help with.. I am naturally a talkative and an outgoing extrovert but when I go up on stage to sing, I become a totally different person.. I become so shy and nervous to the extent that sometimes the audience can sense it through the trembles in my voice.. And I totally suck at the "Gaya" part.. Any advices for that?

Another thing is I have an audition this Wednesday to get a slot to play acoustic sets weekly at a bar and believe me, as I count down to the day, I get butterflies in my tummy and paranoid that I might screw it up.. How can I compose and prepare myself so that I don't get so nervous during the audition?

I need lotsa help please.. :(

Here's another thing that I might need alot of help with.. I am naturally a talkative and an outgoing extrovert but when I go up on stage to sing, I become a totally different person.. I become so shy and nervous to the extent that sometimes the audience can sense it through the trembles in my voice.. And I totally suck at the "Gaya" part.. Any advices for that?

Wah you're like the complete opposite of me.. I get butterflies offstage and extroverted on stage.. which is quite scary now that I think about it... :/

I get butterflies in my tummy and paranoid that I might screw it up.. How can I compose and prepare myself so that I don't get so nervous during the audition?

The best advice I can give you is to forget there are people there (look behind them) and pretend you're singing to yourself. If you have to, close your eyes once in a while to sensationalize it and get into the song more. It helps break down nervousness and just enjoy yourself, which is the key importance in singing...

Half the problems of singing are psychological btw, which is why I'm giving that advice :p

Hey are you coming for the vocal hangout or not? It'll be easier for me to help and perhaps ease off that vocal shyness :}

lol. i function by abiding these principles:

1. it feels great to chase a dream
2. nvr let others divert ur attention away from ur goal
3. the obstacles are not to chase u away, but let u prove how much u want it.
4. everything is achievable if u commit and have the passion burning

this figures my happy-go-lucky optimistic attitude. =)

music is such a wide thing, whos to say whats 'right' in music

the locust (top of my head) and many other bands whose music sound 'weird' aren't sh1t!

whos to say kerry king doesn't solo 'right'

so sing or just make noise all you want (BURP!) and just have fun, cause thats one of the most important things in music.

Latest posts

Back