Over loud open Hi-hats

penko

hi guys,

i have got a bt of problem here with playing the open hi hats, they seems to be the loudest part of the whole drum set, maybe because they are played continuously even the crash, china are not as loud.

I find my left ear drums very damaged by it, is there any way to reduce its volume or something?

Most of the time i play rock, i hit them at moderate strenght, no very hard or soft neither, but after the whole session of jamming i seriously can feel that my ears (esp the left is damaging -.-)

i though of earing ear plugs, but it would lose quite some feel to the whole music for me -.-

any ways to solve this?

haha. thats one problem i face too. what i do, wear earplugs? and if im at e studio. control e sound with ur foot?let it sizzle more. dun let it just go freely. with control, i think e sound is nicer too

your hihat isnt mutated. its supposed to sound loud. how else will others hear it? close your hihat totally and hit the top of the hihat. not the side.

the best way to prevent your ear from spoiling is to wear ear plugs i feel. yup i too am on my way to get a pair.. yup..

you don't have to fully open your hats man... gauge how loud you are loh. if its really too overpowering, close it slightly? it'll still sound washy.

but bear in mind that in the studio, its more confined, thus it'll definitely sound louder. but when you're gigging unmiced, in an open area, your hats will sound just nice even when its wide open.

what hats are u using btw?

joshie
This man speaks the truth. 8)

Which is probably why mastersounds, soundedge and accelerator hats are so popular!

andreww

hmm i tried doing that too, but i am still not good at making it half open at a certain point, as in each time after transition or something, the loudness?sound will differ from previous verse > <

alvyn

Hmm at home i wear earplugs so how loud i also dun care, in the studio most of the times are paiste

penko said:
hmm i tried doing that too, but i am still not good at making it half open at a certain point, as in each time after transition or something, the loudness?sound will differ from previous verse

dude thats you being inconsistent already. practice more

haha i guess so :p

i guess the cloesest thing i can do to reduce the volume is make the hithat half open XD

try controlling with your left foot? unless you're double pedalling then adjust the hi hat stand before you play the song.

caijunlong said:
try controlling with your left foot? unless you're double pedalling then adjust the hi hat stand before you play the song.

or get a cobra clutch...anyway how much is it?

sorry for the late reply, just got out of camp. urgh.

anyway those are also hihats but its hats with the wavy bottom design. supposedly to make the sound more defined, and in my opinion, f**king loud when its open. i used to own a pair of soundformulas that were soundedged. DAMN loud. shiok for rock but not shiok for top40s haha.

anyway kahuna, i think the cobra clutch retails at high $200s at sweelee... its quite good actually cuz it allows u to tighten ur hats more than a drop clutch.. but then imo, a drop clutch is good enough lar haha.

no no need cobra clutch, isn't that for double pedals? hi hats just don't open it so much. and yeah, if your whacking is hurting to your own ears, you'll get used to it after awhile heh. then people around will tell you that your hi hats are too loud. but really, i think just dont open them so big to whack.

alvyn

tightening the high hats too much is not really good for the hats as they will sound choked,lose that sizzling sound and become more vulnerable to cracking.

some tips on reducing noise level

1)dont hit on the edge of hats,use stick head onto the hat surface.

2)do not try to open the hats too wide as mentioned by daltonsim

3)maintain a firm hold of the foot pedal.not to the extent of choking the sound.this will make the hats sound cleaner and without the sizzling sound(only applies when playing closed)

if your a hard hitter then its inevitable that your hats are gonna sound loud.
By right most hats dont sound very loud.unless ur using something like a Istanbul sultan 13" hat or something which is very cutting and loud.but if you are just using normal hats,u would just have to get used to that kinda volume.like the rest of the drummers.hope this helped u in solving your problem
:D

LOL HELLO! wah how're the hats? haha i bought a pair of new beats, then sold it off for a pair of 14" stage hats in the end. haha back to a square one sia. might be considering getting a pair of new beats as aux hats some time in the future. haha.

Back