Old acoustic guitar restoration

socker

I have a 30+ year old acoustic guitar that was my dad's. It's really worn and the frets, fingerboard, tuners and bridge are in a really bad shape. It's a Morris, I think it's a replica of Martin acoustic guitars.

I was thinking of restoring it, and I was wondering if it is more worth it to get a new guitar, or replace the tuners, bridge, fretboard, frets.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Dude, you can't replace the fretboard unless you change the neck. Cost of tuners may vary, but redoing the bridge will set up back around 40 dollars. Refretting will cost at least 250.

I guess acoustic's fretboard and electric's fretboard are different. Haha, so it's more worth it to buy a whole new guitar?

if there is sentimental value, please restore it. otherwise you can look into buying a new guitar. old morris acoustics are good quality stuff.

Dude, you can't replace the fretboard unless you change the neck. Cost of tuners may vary, but redoing the bridge will set up back around 40 dollars. Refretting will cost at least 250.

You can use heat to separate the fretboard from the neck... but its very time consuming hence expensive.

Found this via google, man its complicated
http://www.hotstringsguitar.com/dvd-replace-vintage-guitar-fretboard.php

Agree with van_halen, do it only if the guitar has sentimental value (since it belonged to your dad I'm guessing it does).

haha yeah it has some sentimental value, but if it's not worth it to replace the tuners etc. then i'll just keep it for cosmetics purposes. Thanks guys, appreciate it.

What tuners do acoustic guitars use? Normal Gotoh/Grover Machine heads?

Changing the fretboard is possible but very tedious because it includes refretting. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but usually for old guitars, the necks will be warped, the bridge area might bulge up hence require heating to bring it down again. you might have to change the machine heads too. you'll be surprised by the bill & you'd have to think twice on restoring the guitar.

You could take a few good pictures of the guitar and we'll eyeball and see what you have to do.

different guitars have different fit/measurements for tuners. best to bring your guitar down to shops to ensure proper fit.

You can see the fret board condition and the frets. the neck doesn't seem warped, but my judgement isn't that accurate :D

img2185t.jpg

img2183t.jpg

img2182.jpg

img2180a.jpg

img2179o.jpg

neck seems straight (but no string tension so not accurate, but then again if its unstrung all these years then probably didn't warp and don't need neck reset). fretboard ok what, maybe just rub some lemon oil on it. frets may need levelling. throw in a set of tuners and you are good to go.

The fretboard feels rough, is there something wrong? The nut needs replacement too, it's all worn out and the bridge (the thing that elevates the string) came off. haha

different fretboards will feel differently, some rougher, some smoother. roughness per se won't indicate anything wrong with your fretboard.

nut replacement is relatively easy and cheap. and i think you are refering to bridge saddle came off instead of bridge. bridge saddle is an even easier replacement than the nut.

Hmm so i guess i'll restore it, i'll apply some lemon oil to moisturise the fretboard, know where i might get my fret levelled? And where sells acoustic tuners?

Latest posts

Back