new to skateboarding. help anyone ?

Brigax

hi everyone who reads this. i'm new to this skateboarding thing and was wondering howda get started. any advice or tips ?
bri.

hi everyone who reads this. i'm new to this skateboarding thing and was wondering howda get started. any advice or tips ?
bri.

I used to skate way back during my childhood years.

All i can say is, first get ur balance right. Roll around your neighborhood, get a pair of skate shoes.

Learn how to ollie, maybe a few basic flip tricks like kickflip etc, popshovit (start with shovit) and after that off you go to harder tricks involving grinds and stuff. *remember to learn kickflips on grass/carpet before learning it on flat grounds.

Skatepark is def a good place to hangout as you will be guided by experienced skaters. You can also youtube to search for videos on tips from skateboarders. watch how a trick is made or how youre supposed to land it.

Hope this helps.
Happy Skating!

I used to skate way back during my childhood years.

All i can say is, first get ur balance right. Roll around your neighborhood, get a pair of skate shoes.

Learn how to ollie, maybe a few basic flip tricks like kickflip etc, popshovit (start with shovit) and after that off you go to harder tricks involving grinds and stuff. *remember to learn kickflips on grass/carpet before learning it on flat grounds.

Skatepark is def a good place to hangout as you will be guided by experienced skaters. You can also youtube to search for videos on tips from skateboarders. watch how a trick is made or how youre supposed to land it.

Hope this helps.
Happy Skating!

erm any idea where to get a cheap board preferably not more than 150sgd ? and i think its a lil awkward going to skatepark when i cant skate for nuts.

Wow finally a skater. I used to skate 5 years ago. I believe there are decks selling for 60. Powell if i'm not wrong. Those plain decks. Well, that price was 5 years ago anyway. Note: do not buy from those sports store.

erm any idea where to get a cheap board preferably not more than 150sgd ? and i think its a lil awkward going to skatepark when i cant skate for nuts.

Peninsular Plaza's Spitfire, got my first board from there.

Lol and I don't think you'll need to go to skateparks.. anywhere would do fine, just skate around, and get your ollie good and snappy and you can move on slowly :D

welcome skater.

well, im still a noob in skateboarding.

firstly, make sure you know whether you're comfartable with goofy or regular.

and, just skate around the parks around your area. get your balance. slowly move to ollies.

and i still suck at ollies. :x

hello, theres a pretty good skate shop near queenstown mrt called "go sports". got my deck from there. for around 150-200 you can get a basic deck and maybe change the bearings or something. its a pretty good budget. skating around in void decks and stuff are good for starters, just make sure you dont make too much noise :)
i guess you can start off by getting comfortable with moving on the board, basic turns and learn how to 'olie'. haha.

hey bro. where do you stay? i dont mind skating with you and share a tip or two with you. btw, love skatepark @ bukit timah sells complete sets for $159. Brands to choose from would be habitat or alien workshop. Recommended i guess. But the trucks and wheels are reflex(brand name). And yeah, do skate safe and hope to skate with you soon!

btw, love skatepark do deliverys. www.loveskatepark.com

Hey there , im still skating now and well i guess you should work on balance thats #1 after your're comfortable with the board you can start with ollies and simple stuff like acid drops(youtube is your best friend)

Anyway my friend has a complete in brand new condition to let go( element deck, indy trucks, spitfire wheels) haha def better than those completes in stores so yeah if your interested just pop me a pm :)

Have fun skating and remember, pain is only temporary.

hey bro. where do you stay? i dont mind skating with you and share a tip or two with you. btw, love skatepark @ bukit timah sells complete sets for $159. Brands to choose from would be habitat or alien workshop. Recommended i guess. But the trucks and wheels are reflex(brand name). And yeah, do skate safe and hope to skate with you soon!

btw, love skatepark do deliverys. www.loveskatepark.com

u addressing that to me ? lol. ok firstly i'm a girl...... haha anws i'm staying around cck area. but anywhere's fine with me... hehe. preferably after nov 12. my o levels end then.

cool. you can talk more abt skateboarding at sgclub if u want.

i was actually thinking of trying out skateboarding myself, but decided to try out slalom skating instead.

Best of luck. :p

Last edited:
Hey there , im still skating now and well i guess you should work on balance thats #1 after your're comfortable with the board you can start with ollies and simple stuff like acid drops(youtube is your best friend)

Anyway my friend has a complete in brand new condition to let go( element deck, indy trucks, spitfire wheels) haha def better than those completes in stores so yeah if your interested just pop me a pm :)

Have fun skating and remember, pain is only temporary.

yo keiith. ur pm inbox is fulllllll. tried to pm across couldnt get thru.

ouh. very sorry about that. i thought you're a guy. anyway, there's a lot of skaters around cck. i dont mind skating there too. anyway, once you have your board, you can pm me or something. hope to skate soon! do skate safe.

ouh. very sorry about that. i thought you're a guy. anyway, there's a lot of skaters around cck. i dont mind skating there too. anyway, once you have your board, you can pm me or something. hope to skate soon! do skate safe.

really ? i hardly see any around this area. thing is that i haven got my board. any idea where to nearest i can go from here ? and where is the bukit batok skatepark. lol too lazy to queensway ta buy board.... =(

well, i recommend keith's second hand board setup. if it's in good condition and bears a good price, don't hesitate to get it. alternatively, if you're lazy, u can always place an order on loveskatepark. they do delivery for $10. so total will be $169. btw, i know of 2 skatergirls from yew tee. i dont mind intro-ing them to you. btw, you can add me up on msn or something. sshaz-ni@hotmail.com hear from you soon.

My one and only friend who skates moved to the states to go pro. ok he went to study but he did move to the states. which is why i don't skate anymore. i dont mind skating again for fun, and the best would be at skatepark. i can nail these tricks, ollie, fakie, fs 180, kickflip. varial kickflip, ocassionally bs 180 flip and heel flip. used to ollie down stairs but gave up since i hurt my back.

bri, i pm you, can add me on msn. i can buy your first deck with you. oh good luck for your o levels. no worries, its easy peasy.

i'm not a skater, but i (think i) know where the skatepark is. since you live in CCK, you can take 188 all the way and alight at the bus stop BEFORE the flyover to jurong east. cross the road, and walk along a small path to a small road (you'll see a huge field there - on weekends there'll be people playing cricket there). then you'll see some steps, go down the steps and you'll find yourself in a park (street socecr court, basketball court, jogging path)..just follow the jogging path futher into the end of it and you'll see the skate park there.

just read the directions, put it into point form and find your way, ask around if you have too..have fun.

P.S. i wish the "skaters" below my block would go there and skate. it's rather annoying when you keep hearing their boards hit the ground and it resonates between the 2 facing blocks. i stay on the 10th floor and i still can hear them. it's quite annoying...

Back