Need some good advice on amp

Lifehouse

I decided not to hijack the Mesa Boogie thread so here is another thread. I am currently using an Marshall MG30DFX (please dont buy it), and I've decided to pass the amp to my sister to upgrade to a better amp, preferably tube, in combo format (1x12 or 2x12).

Here are a few I'm so far interested (new or used below $1500):

Mesa Boogie F30
Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall DSL 401
Laney LC-50 mkII
Laney VC30
Tech 21 Trademark 60
Or any other peavey amps recommendations

I play mainly hard rock, modern rock and alternative rock stuff. I don't really do much metal. Most important for me is getting a suitable/versatile distortion channel as well as a decent clean tone.

the dsl401 would suit it fine except for some reliability issues i guess. good price too.. only 900 new.

Im probably gonan get a jmp1 and an el84 20/20 power with a 2x12 cab.. 2.8k..ouch still having 2nd thoughts

What about the Marshall AVT line then?

Lets say if you want to play at room practice volumes, do you opt for the hybrid amps so you can get tube tone at low volumes?

This has been discussed by many people.

i have the marshall avt50 as well. It does produce good tone i must admit. Its pretty much a basic amp with 2 channels and the basic sound controls, nothing more. Very decent for what you pay , which is about 700.

the DSL 401 is my ex-amp. the reason i sold it off is because there were 2 tube amps in the house so it's excessive. i've not had any reliability issues cited here, these comes with how you handle the amp. the combo heats up fast but it's nothing a small table fan aimed at the rear couldn't cure.

having tried many amps, i seriously don't find the Marshall MG a dud. if you've tried many other amps, it's just that the MG sounds lacking thereafter.

subversion said:
the DSL 401 is my ex-amp. the reason i sold it off is because there were 2 tube amps in the house so it's excessive. i've not had any reliability issues cited here, these comes with how you handle the amp. the combo heats up fast but it's nothing a small table fan aimed at the rear couldn't cure.

having tried many amps, i seriously don't find the Marshall MG a dud. if you've tried many other amps, it's just that the MG sounds lacking thereafter.

I won't exactly say the MG is a dud, but it was my first practice amp and my first buy at that. So I will say, taste change. I have tried the AVT50, not really my taste. Because rather than get a hybrid, I would rather get a modelling amp such as Trademark 60. Cheers! :D

How about the Line 6 amps, a good range of tones there if you're looking for versatility.

If you could find a 2nd hand AX2, thats a pretty good buy. I like that model better than the Vetta series or the Spider amps.

Back