Need advice on a setup

digital

Hello all,

I need advice on having a setup

It's basically a keyboard + microphone setup that outputs sound on the same amplifer or speakers.

Can any one give me advice on such a setup like what I would need?

Thanks~

hihi,
firstly, you'll need an audio interface with at least an XLR imput and a line-in imput. the XLR is a 3 pin cable for microphone imput and the line-in is for your keyboard/guitar.

there are several interfaces in the market, for me i use a yamaha mixer with 12 channels that acts as a interface as i can USB it to the PC. you need not get a mixer if your setup is only keyboard and mike only. just look out for the interface that i mentioned earlier. there are a few brands, shop around for it.

Hello truelove,

Thanks for your input. however, could you recommend me some of these products that have an XLR input and a line in?

Would be much appreicated cause I m clueless lol~

I forgot to add ~

I don't need to record these tracks.

Its like a live performing setup.. Keyboard, Microphone and Speakers - with something that bridges them together !

hi,
ok since you do not need to record, then a normal mixer will do, no need a USB one. the interface that i mentioned earlier is for recording purposes as its USB/Firewire.

mixers come in different sizes, from 8 channel to 12 to 16 and much more.
based on the amount of instrument u want to 'combine' together, you'll choose the number of channels the mixer have. usually a 8 channel mixer has about 4 XLR impute, which means you can put 4 mikes and the rest will be line-in, which you can put your guitars and keyboards.

depending on your budget, you have a range of brands to choose from, like mackie, yamaha, etc.
for me, i'm more familliar with yamaha as i'm a yamaha user, a 8 channel mixer cost about 200+ to 300.
if you go to yamaha at PS, u can see mixers that are silver in colour and mixers that are blue in colour. those in silver are USB ones, means it has interface incorporated. for you setup, you'll probably be looking at the blue ones(analog mixers), which are more suitable for live and cheaper also. the MG series.
you can get them at SIM LIM which has better prices, i recomend 'World Wide Sound' shop at level 1.

website to see the mixers

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...%253D560489%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html#one

Alesis also makes some smaller format mixers and if you're on a really tight budget you can even consider Behringer although I think their mic preamps are not as clean as those you find on other mixers.

If you just need to play the keyboard and sing thru the microphone at the same time, the simplest way is to get an acoustic amplifier combo set. eg are the AER model series. just need to plug all your stuffs into it, no messy setup needed. the model and sizing will depend how many inout channel and how loud you are expecting. Go to City Music or Swee Lee, the staffs will recomend you one that suit you.

Back