My experience at the taping of RockStar:Supernova(Spoiler!)

therealslim

Getting there
The ticket said to be there 15-20 mins before 845am at CBS Studios in Hollywood before the taping to park annd get in line.
We got there just as they said, 815am, but omg, the amount of people there was insane. And the parking structure was far away.
But i should have expected it.

Inside
The studio was amazing. I've been to live tapings before, in US and Singapore (Even the "Live on 5" hosted by Gurmit Singh) and this was definitely one of the most spectacular live taping studio atmospheres ever! It was really set like a rock concert.

Ok, for those of you who follow the RockStar show, you know the area where the crowd stands? It's about a little bigger than a street soccer court. There's audience seated in the back, and above (kinda like a gallery upstairs, great view of the stage but u cant see Supernova, they are under u).
The "throne" area i call it, where Supernova and Dave sit, is amazingly extravagant. They are actually sitting on lavish thrones, very rock star king.
And the lights are ridiculously massive, omg, they can do anything, welcome to Hollywood baby.

(SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

HOLD ON, if you haven't seen the where Supernova chose the next person to play with them on their Second original song, then don't read on until you watch it!

Ok, the episode that day was the elimination as well as the 2nd chosen rocker to sing with supernova.
Toby was chosen. But i felt that Toby's performance wasnt that big deal. Also, i do agree with many people that Supernova's songs are pop, not very rock. The song was like the "Hey hey hey HEY! Ho ho ho HO!" kind. Sigh.

That day was so drama. Dilana got slammed for ratting on Ryan and Lukas. But, being a Dilana fan, i think its really what the media made of her. She really didnt mean a lot of what she said in that way. For example, she said something as a joke, but the cameras cut off the laugh and smile after that, and pretty much took it as a straightforward comment. Thats Showbiz. Watch what u say.

Then, Magni did an awesome "Fire" by Hendrix. OMG. Actually i was fixated to the drummer. he was MAAAAD! I'm sure i dun have to tell u how good he is, but he's GOOD.

Patrice is too nice for a rock star. And she's too tame.

Throughout the show, I was looking at Storm. She's NUTS! She wore this very short skirt and didn't really care about modesty hhaha. She is bascially very hyper.Even when the cameras not on her, she's like in her own world.My friend says she's weird haha.

During the intervals, one girl took off her bra and gave it to Tommy to sign, hahaha! And she was so proud of it. I like Tommy the best among them all, he's the coolest.

They do say words like "shit" and "fuck" in the show, but of cos they don't air it. Hahaha. "That was the SHIT bro!" but thats rock n roll baby.

Here's something strange. If you have been to live tapings, during the intervals where they either change the set, or commercial breaks, they may have a host coming out to entertain the crowd or have music playing etc. There was a host, very good host, he was funny and he worked the crowd. Sometimes the break is too short for him to do anything, so they play music. Guess what. They play Hip Hop. Wah piang.
One minute i'm head banging to Nirvana, they next minute.............
"How come everytime you come around my Lon-don Lon-don bridge wanna go down.My Lond-don, Lon-don, Lon-Bree!"
I wanna say something in hokkien, but maybe i shouldn't. But it's the most common thing to say after "Lun-"

Anyway!

So the show was amazing. They had LCD TV screens all around too, to make sure every single person in the audience can see something. It was cool to watch the screen, to see what u will see on TV, and when i look down, its them right in front of me, physically live. Cooolness.

After the show, while we were walking out of the studio, as we turned the corner, Dilana, Ryan and Lukas came out! Lukas wanted a smoke. and everyone just flocked to them to take pictures etc. So cool, they were like right next to me, dangit, no camera.

Dilana's my fav. She will win.

I've got tickets to go next wed again! Woohoo!

I love being in LA!

And Jars of Clay performing live somewhere close to me this weekend. Free.

Sorry, no cameras were allowed, i would have loved to take some bootleg shots and post them, but sigh. this is all i can prove i was there. Its pathetic.

223995467_33ce640a64.jpg

lols the only prove u were there: a pic of CBS building xD but i believe u!

and wow, u actually see Rockstar: Supernova -live-?? haha cool!

the Supernova is the only show be=side CSI that i enjoy watchin with me wife .....thanks for sharing>> nice one :D

gkinsingapore wrote:
They show it live in the morning here so no spoilers....

Hey man, hows the sound in the studio? Is it bonecrunchingly loud? Does the mix sound a lot different live than on TV?

The 2 Supernova songs we heard so far have been awful so yeah, coming 2nd might be a blessing in disguise....

The sound was awesome. Not jarring at all! I mean, speaking from the audience point of view, i didnt have to put my hands over my ears. Not like some concerts i've been to thats just ridiculously loud.

BUT, i was watching the clip of Toby performing with Supernova on the web and i noticed the sound is (of cos) clearer on web clip. Like i couldn't distinguish the bass chords clearly.It was clearer on the clip. It wasn't too much of a difference, just probably cos live will be definitely have an unavoidable difference.

yea, the 2 Original songs by Supernova have been very.....pop. Not as raunchy rock as i would expect it. To me, Aerosmith is still doing the best in keeping to as old school rock/blues as possible (though Don't Wanna Miss A Thing was such a let down for a band like Aerosmith.).

Supernova so far, sounds more alternative bubblegum pop-rock now. Like Rooster.
All the contestants had bands or have been (like Storm Large) fronting a band for ages already, so though they don't win, this exposure is just gonna bring in the record contracts, even sponsors.

But hey, i can tell you they will go far.
Its all about the marketing man. We've all seen bad bands, bad singers go straight up to top charts, and we just can't understand why.
Same Singapore idol theory? With money, you can suddenly BECOME good.

Hey man, what you doing there? studying or up and left Singapore? Real cool, getting to see great stuff in LA. I went to NY once but didn't like it cos the people were too unfriendly, how's the LA crowd like?

i thought the best part of da epi was dilana payin the price for wantin the song "every breathe u take"

she rockz ~

Ok, this is not related, but i've got a bootleg shot of when i was at Tonight Show with Jay Leno (I cant remember who the girl is, but the male guest was Larry the Cable Guy, voice of the truck in CARS).

224474129_faa723f5f5.jpg

Figured i'd show u more proof of my live-taping-visitation-resume.

phoenix said:
Hey man, what you doing there? studying or up and left Singapore? Real cool, getting to see great stuff in LA. I went to NY once but didn't like it cos the people were too unfriendly, how's the LA crowd like?
I'm doing my music degree in LA.
And checking out concerts all the time babyY!

Any of you coming up to LA, let me know. I've got the lobangs man!

1) Cheaper tickets to Disney and Universal Studios
2) Know where the best free indie concert venues are
3) Knows where to eat good and cheap!

I am both. Studying and LEFT Singapore.

LA Crowd very cool. People here are so fashion-free. Of cos theres the Beverly Hills, but people here dress like they want. Weird to cool, it's no holds barred here. See Dilana dressing? Common on the streets here. Well, maybe not so flashy, but people do dress weirdly cool here.
LA people cooler than NY!

Cali's definitely the palce to be. I got friends up north in Napa Valley, not as happening as LA, but they're not complaining.

Cool! I bet i'd fit right in in LA. And its near to San Fran too, love San Fran from the Dirty Harry movies i watched as a kid, haha. Would definitely like to travel there but probably not so soon. From what i see in the maps, places in LA are bit far to be walking, do you need a car to get around? Or is the public transport recommended? I guess being a musician there would be tough cos there's a million musicians clamouring for record deals...

Back