MWTS: Upgraded SBMM Ray34CA

The Renaissance

Hi Guys,

Just a feeler sale of my go-to bass: a modified Ray34CA.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdljhzoao3dyz7r/Bass - Ray34CA'''.jpg

First thing's first, the bass itself receive many good reviews as a very well constructed budget version of the stingray bass. The one im holding, as seen in the picture is the 3tone sunburst one. Ash body, gloss maple finger board.
Basically, i gutted the whole bass and replaced all the pickup and electronics. Modifications done are as follows:
- Added a bartollini jazz bass neck pickup, blend knob
- Changed the rear pickup for a MM4.4
- Preamp to Aguilar OBP-3
- 3 way toggle for series/parallel/split on MM pickup
- push/pull passive mode

Soundwise this bass is a beast. Comparable to the lakland 55-02 series with the MM-J configuration. However, the MM pickup is at exactly the sweet spot of the bass unlike the 55-02 one which is a little closer to the bridge. This difference gives my bass the exact stingray tone. The MM4.4 pickup was also a very good upgrade from the stock ones tonally. Its more compressed, less brittle on the high end and nicer sweet high mids. The jazz pickup is also placed 4" away from the bridge coil of the MM, hence giving a nice 70s jazz bass tone when used in the jazz bass configuration.

Price wise, if you do simple math, it sums up about $1700 without the labour cost of doing the modification. I'm looking at the least $1200 for the bass. Again, its a feeler. So let me know if you are interested and ill decide from there. Also if u think its worth much less than what i quoted, do let me know and we can discuss it out.

Please contact me through PM. Ill check back often.

Thanks for reading

Latest posts

Back