Music Practice Monitoring

HF Theory

Just an enquiry.

How would one setup a central monitoring system, in a jamming studio?

Say, the source comes from keyboardist/synth.

So the rest of the band, will need to feed their headphones to the keyboardist.

What gear is required, (I read of a headphone distribution amp)

Likely, all of us would be using headphones while practiciing.

Any advice as to what gear to buy, and routing techniques?

so it's just for better monitoring right? first of all, assuming you got a tight budget, I highly recommend audiotechnica ATHM30 headphones they've got great great isolation (the band and I often yell at each other without realising when on it)
2nd is the headphone amp, how many of you are there?

lastly keyboards > input to a minimal mixer > output to a headphone amp > headphones for everyone. if the isolation is too good just "leave the headphone open off your ears a little for the sound to bleed in".

the analog mixer will have one headphone output + headphone amp. if there's no more than 5 of you guys, personally i'm using this http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=HA204 , compact and light. (considering you guys already have the extra mixer + your instrument to carry already)

hope this helps.

HI!

We meet again!

Haha!

There's about 6 of us,

thus which headphone amp would you recommend?

Also, I'm anticipating, length issues to the wire of the headphone cord to the amp distirbution, where can one get an extension wire?

Cheers!

sorry, I must have overlooked this thread, been busy recording new bands for the baybeats auditions

6 of you guys then your best shot with a budget would be the Behringer 8 channel headphone amp http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HA8000.aspx , dealer I believe it's hungbrothers at simlim square

extension wires are available all over the place like harveynorman etc, but since if you're going to simlim you can get the cables cheap in the electronics shops (my personal favourite is suang huat heng trading #02-68 since i started recordin in '01)

Just curious, assuming the whole band is rehearsing in the same room; playing at balanced and reasonable volume levels should eliminate the need for elaborate monitoring setups. Is something or someone playing too loudly?

definitely can't help it if the drummer's hard hitting.
or vocalist doesn't project his vocals at a high volume while maintaining pitch.

What instruments are in your band?
What is the size of your jamming room?
Do you have a PA system?

More details will allow us to give better answers

Back