Mosaic Fest! When Dinosaur(s) ruled the… Esplanade Theatre stage!

christoh

Hey there, the RAT’s here filling in for the Abang. And for the next couple of days, I’ll be clueing you in on the second half of the Mosaic Music Festival starting with… a blast from the past!

love

IMG_0750.jpg

love

Yep, just came back from the Dinosaur Jr. gig and I don’t know what’s cooler: seeing an eclectic range of folks I didn’t expect at what I assumed to be a hipster-meets-`90s alterna-rock crowd. Spotted were Kings of Convenience’s Eirik Glambek Boe, former Artist Villager Tang Mun Kit, ex-TODAY hotshot journo-lovelovelove-cultural theory wiz Nazry Bahrawi and… former NMP Siew Kum Hong!)

Or getting a `90s déjà vu moment for a little over an hour (which was too short and abrupt a gig for most folks).

But it was more than enough for this mild admirer of their wall of sound, melodic alternative rock stuff. Heck, I only know Feel the Pain from Without a Sound – which was basically a solo album by lead boss J Mascis’. And no, I do notloveplay Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

Here’s their set list – which, to my shock, was sent out via the Mosaic peeps hours before the show. How about that?

love

IMG_0765.jpg

love

love

But enough of my shortcomings. I’m an unabashed kid of the `90s and know how much this trio consisting of Mascis, bassist Lou Barlow and drummer Murph were influential and peer to the bands and rock sound I grew up with.

So without further ado, here’s a list of why Dinosaur Jr took me back in time. In a good way.

1. Black t-shirts. No one wears black t-shirts anymore. Everyone’s all stylo mylo these days. But all three of them did.

2. The obsessive tuning and re-tuning of guitars. It’s irritating if you’re watching a concert. But when J Mascis does it, I think of an obsessive, nervous kid. I have an ex-bandmate who used to do that. Sometimes he messes up. Then we all have to tune our guitars as well. It’s somewhat similar to…

3. The restless guitar noodling in-between songs. Who does that nowadays?! That long white Gandalf `do hides a kid named J.

4. The bassist-as-guitarist-songwriter-just-waiting-to-come-out. Some friends of mine actually flew in because of Lou Barlow, courtesy of his Sebadoh side-project when he got kicked out of the band. Everyone knows the Barlow-Mascis love-hate relationship. Like Pixies’ Black Francis and Kim Deal. Kim Deal is more charismatic, can sing harmonies, plays the bass and made a killer song. Just like Barlow – who got to sing a couple of songs in this gig too. The only difference between Barlow and Deal is that the former played power chords on his bass. And that Deal is a girl.

5. The whole I’m-not-going-to-do-banter-because-I’m-shredding-over-heavy-distortion (Mascis) or alternatively, the whole I’m-going-to-be-the-nice-guy-here-because-our-boss-is-too-serious-but-I’m-also-in-my-own-world-so-once-in-a-while-I’ll-turn-my-back-to-the-crowd-and-face-the-amps (Barlow).

6. The retro guitar effects. Phaser, wah pedal, loads and loads of distortion stompboxes. Mascis’ wall of noise was exactly what every kid in a band in the `90s wanted to create. Unless they were into Four Non-Blondes.

7. The fan who climbs up on stage. And does the rock sign. And before the bouncer catches him, stage dives. Okay so no stage diving took place, but two people actually went up onstage. How often does that happen at a rock concert at the Esplanade? Props dudes! You’re probably not from Singapore.

love

IMG_07581.jpg

love

8. Guitar feedback. Weeeeaaaahhhwwooooeeeeeaaaaahhhhwoooooeeeeeaaaahhhh.

9. The requisite guitar wank solo. It sounds so glam rock but if it’s enveloped by so much distortion you can only hear wuuuurruuuruuweeee-weee-weeee, then it’s technically legit.

10. They’re a trio. Who does trio bands nowadays? Muse doesn’t count yo.

love

IMG_0761.jpg
love

More...

I'm pretty sure the second guy who went on stage, who was a Malay teenager, was from Singapore. Great concert by the way, managed to get really close. Also, they really like their Coke!

they did their job and iam glad i got most of my favourite dino jr songs within that 1 hr plus.

am still in love with the flanger sound in freakscene and finally hearing it live. Still as good as it was, hearing it first time in the year punk broke documentary long time back.

....and their cover of the Cure's Just Like Heaven, with the on-purpose anyhow abrupt ending...brilliant!!! yeah man, feel the 90s, and hahaha the crowd also a lotta guys in their 30s........

Back