Modding of amps

Jay_Clones

Hi people

Just asking...
I'm wondering whether small amps ( mine's Crate GX15R) can be modded to give a better gain/more bass etc.. Just like wat some modders did to DS-1 pedals.
Can it be done?
Mikemann, edder, embryo..any clues?

See Ya Somewhere
Musically
Jay_Clones

If you can find a more powerful speaker to fit inside (some cabinet can squeeze 1 size up, ie 10" in a 8" cab), it will most likely improve the bass response.

Anything is possible as long as you are willing to spend the money for some "mad scientist modder" to rip it apart and figure out what can be done. Anything possible with money.

If I am creative enough, I may totally rip out the power amp board and put in a 50watts circuit in, mod the preamp or re-outfit it. And use Pro-Audio speaker 8" 100watts program handling capable.

But truthfully will you spend like $300/500/800 bucks to do that to a $200 amp??

So the answer is NO. It's a pretty dumb move unless you are really nuts and want to make a LOUD statement. Changing amp is a more logical, cheaper and better move.

Because, out there, there are no body yet doing it on a commercial scale, so not likely to find an economical solution to this question.

So this question, I wish is answered once and for all, for now. If anybody else ask the same question, again. Please link back to this tread. (This same question has being asked many many times already).

You can install and replace the pre-tubes and the power tubes or you can even change the speakers on your cabinet. But the cost time and effort of modifying the guts of the amp is so troublesome since you have to biase and it doesn't justify modding. Thats why you don't see a large community modding amps..

If you want to get more/less gain etc of your amp, I think its more advisable to use a pedal in the effects loops to bring out what you want out of your amp. If not, sell it and get the amp you want!

changing tubes is not a mod and not all amp need biasing for changing the power tubes or modifying the guts....

modding a practice amp or any amp is not really practical unless for the interest and able to do it yourself..

Yo

Thanx for the input, man :D
Hmm....I'll look around for a nice amp.
Looking for a 15W wif balls. I heard Kluson , Roland Mcrocubes are not bad?
My crate has been wif me for abt 5 yrs but still in good condition. It's a birthday gift actually.

See Ya Somewhere
Musically
Jay_Clones

The Roland Cube 15 is very powerful for its size. The 4 drive modes are also happening too. Only drawback is that it does not have reverb, if you don't need that, not an issue.

Microcube I have not heard it, should be proportionally powerful, but note the overall output is quite small. So you could find yourself looking for more very soon. Good thing is this have digital effects.

If you are into amp built in digital effects, another amp to look into is the AXL Thinamp. This is a thin factor portable amp, so the added advantage is that it has rechargable batteries as a standard feature. Previous in-stock season was I think about a year ago. The shipment just arrived recently, so look out for it, dunno how long stocks will last.

Other than that, better look to Bigger Amps, recently Smarvo just came in a 60watts model. Features same as the 40W model, except more powerful speaker and more power in the amp dept. The 'boost' channel still looks the same, so no excitment there. This guy just cost $40 more than the 40W cuson.

Well technically speaking, replacing tubes is a modification itself to an amp. You could reduce the shrill highs and brightness of amps by replacing stock tubes with "darker" preamps like the JJ 12ax7 or a Tung Sol 6550 in the power amp section.

But trying to acquire the parts and actually making the replacement is a time-wasting and silly thing to do. As mentioned, just get a better amp or use your individual pedals to bring out the sound you want!

no offence i hope, but have you ever had experience with a tube amp as in owning one and actually changing the tubes to get the tonal differences or just read that from somewhere else....

ictaros said:
Well technically speaking, replacing tubes is a modification itself to an amp. You could reduce the shrill highs and brightness of amps by replacing stock tubes with "darker" preamps like the JJ 12ax7 or a Tung Sol 6550 in the power amp section.

I have purchased a NOS quad of matched TS 6550's from ebay for my friend's old dying amp after reading about them actually.

But it goes to show, everything should be taken with a pinch of salt as we couldn't clearly distinguish any significant tonality changes after the replacement. Perhaps a tad bit of gain, thats all. We contemplated changing the speakers but in the end, we decided to purchase a new amp. (saves time, money and fruitless effort)

Back