Marshall Amp heads

cherubrock

What do you think of the JCM2000 as compared to JCM800/900. Besides the former capable of a higher level of gain, what are the tonal characteristics of the newer series compared to the old ones, which i have heard are much more favored by tonefreaks.

I have a second hand deal for a DSL50 head for $900. Worth the buy?
I am looking to have a home studio and hoping to own a half stack. And i am thinking of using an attenuator.

cherubrock said:
What do you think of the JCM2000 as compared to JCM800/900. Besides the former capable of a higher level of gain, what are the tonal characteristics of the newer series compared to the old ones, which i have heard are much more favored by tonefreaks.

I have a second hand deal for a DSL50 head for $900. Worth the buy?
I am looking to have a home studio and hoping to own a half stack. And i am thinking of using an attenuator.

I've a DSL 50 head at home.

Sounds good, both clean and dirty channels.

At $900 its a good price, I didn't have such a opportunity and had to grab mine off Ebay USA.

For what its worth, you could actually play it without an attentuator as it sound good at low volumes as well.

JMguitars said:

At $900 its a good price, I didn't have such a opportunity and had to grab mine off Ebay USA.

For what its worth, you could actually play it without an attentuator as it sound good at low volumes as well.

Hmm....how loud is it when you meant low volumes? How about lets say comparing to a 50W combo, at volume level 4 is already considered loud to me. :roll:

What cabinets are you using anyway?

cherubrock said:
JMguitars said:

Hmm....how loud is it when you meant low volumes? How about lets say comparing to a 50W combo, at volume level 4 is already considered loud to me. :roll:

What cabinets are you using anyway?

Cherubrock,

I've used it through a Tophat 2x12 (Celestion GH30+V30).

When I do play thru it, its at volume level 4. At that level, it is loud for a HDB apartment.

However, I do so as its a comfortable level to feel the physical "thud" sound wave (you don't start to tickle the power tubes till you're past the 2 o' clock level).

As far as I can remember, the volume level rises in a linear level. These master vol Marshall amps are designed to be played at low to mid level volumes.

If you're looking to play at night or need to be able to play quietly; then chances are you'll still need the attenuator.

Do give the amp a test run first; should you feel that you're compromising tone with the lower volume, let me know and I'll be happy to hook you up with a THD Hotplate.

Back