Live show recording - How to?

soft

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Everyone

Got a question here. I want to record a live musical with 16 singers, 4 piece band and cd playback.

I need to sync these back to video also.

Have anyone with experience in doing this?

Hmmm... nobody?

Anyway, I have narrowed it down to either the MOTU 828mkII or Echo Layla24. Anyone used these stuff before? I will be using a notebook. The MOTU is cool because of it´s Firewire connection but I heard good things about the Layla´s AD/DA.

The only drawback about the Layla is that it uses PCI/PCMCIA.

sorry if the reply come too late, i'm using motu 896 and i can tell you, don't go to motu D/A. invest in a decent one like RME or apogee. if you need to sync audio with audio, always remember timecode would help in post-production. need to sync it with your recorded timecode in the post. :)

y dun u juz consider those Alesis hd 24..
get all ur raw tracks recorded n bounced it off for mixdown..
datz it ... wala... noo worries or watsoever..
no way it gona dodge u..
remember live recordings, the thing u dun want is ur computer crashing on u...!!
cheers

Lot of differeces between Motu 828 and Motu 828MK2. Rosetta 800 and Fireface 800 are double the price of Motu 828 MK2

For RME. Mr Kion KL is the distributor for RME products in Singapore. His email hecpl@cyberway.com.sg. I have received a quote for Fireface 800 from him recently

Sory, it is 896. Soft, If you are going for RME, please also get quote for one more unit. If they bring in 2 units, the shipping cost may be less.

thanks

KMA

Hey soft,
best thing is use the alesis HD24. If your video source has LTC out, just leave 1 track for LTC on the alesis.

If not, try to get a deck to record the video simultanesouly during performance. Something like BetaCAM or Mini DV (using a Professional / semi pro deck). Use a MOTU MIDI time piece to sync them up. You can do this by converting the Alesis MTC to LTC to feed the deck. This way, you will have the video deck time TC chasing your Alesis TC. In post should be a lot easier.

Just make sure your Alesis is the master as it only has MTC out and nothing in.

Hope this helps

Regards
Robin

Back