Left channel louder than right. But cannot pan..

zesn

Hey guys.
Need some help here.

my setup is
Guitar --> effects ---> Soundcard

i'm using the effect's emulated speaker output for direct recording.

however,
while recording , i see the left channel volume bar always higher than the right channel.

eg.
|================================ | L
|======== | R

can anybody help me? Cause I can't really find anything to balance the two channels.

whats the effect using?

If its among the more common brand(line6, vox tonelab etc) try checking with the forum of the gear, others might have similar problems and able to work around it.

Guitar is mono instrument/unbalanced signal. Check if the output from the effect has stereo left right out, to the audio interface.

With the effect, is there any software mixer that came with it, that allows you to switch the output setting?

Within the daw that received geetar signal, is it expecting a mono input or stereo one?

thanks pathein.
not using line6.
used to record with floor pod and it was good. both channels quite balanced.

but i'm using the blackstar ht-dist now,
the DAW is receiving stereo but just that the left channel is 3 times as loud as the right channel.

no software mixer.

usually when i record a new file, it asks for mono or stereo.
i usually just go with stereo because i tried mono and it didn't record anything down.
i'll try again soon with mono.

my top suspect would be your effect's emulated speaker output is a Mono jack, and you are connecting a stereo jack to it, and then connecting the stereo cable to your soundcard. mismatching the types of jacks usually ends up with funky stuff similar to what you are experiencing.

in order to proper connect a mono source to your stereo in, you would get a stereo to mono splitter and just record 1 channel

yeah i should have mentioned.
from the jack out, i'm using a 1/4 inch to 1/8 converter.
and on the 1/4 inch converter theres two stripes.
if i'm not wrong thats TRS type of plug for stereo?
Then it goes on to a 1/8 cable to the soundcard.

the problem should be with the 1/4 inch converter?

yeah, when you plug a mono jack into a stereo converter, youre not guaranteed of proper operation. anything can happen depending on how the jack is made.

Try to find a Stereo to 2xMono Splitter.

Then u plug your 1/4 inch jack into 1 of the mono, (leaving the other mono unplugged), then plug stereo into your soundcard.

Then in your music software, you should see signal coming from 1 side only, either right or left, depending on how u plugged it. So switch to mono recording mode, pick the proper channel, and you win!

Back