Language and Music

DoubleBlade

You guys ever encountered this situation before?

A : Hey , so what kinda music you listen to?
B : Oh I listen to Rammstein and X Japan
A : What are they?
B : Rammstein plays German Industrial Rock while X Japan plays J Rock
A : Aiyah not nice lah...
B : Like WTF , you've not even heard them play , how you know not
nice?

A : Cause I don't understand what their language....

OR

Your friend disses you off by saying , " Why you listen to all these kinds of werid music when you don't even understand what they're singing?!"

I though music was considered universal? It does not matter what language we all speak but rather people bond together through music which in laymen terms is the so called "Common Language" among the people of the world...

Seriously , I really don't mind listening to African Rock or Eskimo Metal etc as long as it sounds good disregarding the language barrier...

For me , I dare say that I can clique easily with music which is of a different language provided it sounds nice to me...

ya..tts true...i always think music is something to overcome the langauge barrier all around the world...and yet there are ppl who dun appreciate the effort tt these musicians and putting into when making their album...

ya..tts true...i always think music is something to overcome the langauge barrier all around the world...and yet there are ppl who dun appreciate the effort tt these musicians and putting into when making their album..

Your friend = shallow

AGREED!

music is universal. no matter what language. look at satch, we all know him, we all appreciate his music, and he plays alien music.

I think the instrumental rock scene has also experienced a similar kinda of feedback as well....

They just dismiss their music as plain trash and look down on people who listen to their music as "weird"....

well I guess that does not prove anything at all...

But is it possible to say that One man's meat may be another man's poison in the context of language and music?

DoubleBlade said:
well I guess that does not prove anything at all...

But is it possible to say that One man's meat may be another man's poison in the context of language and music?

In a way yes, some people like the song because of the lyrics or they place more emphasis on the lyrics of the song. While others like the song because of the melody, the feel or the emotion it invokes in them and thus place the understanding of the language of the song secondary. So its all subjective.

I understand how u feel, I have similar experiences as well. At the end of the day, its just personal preference 8)

DoubleBlade said:
You guys ever encountered this situation before?

A : Hey , so what kinda music you listen to?
B : Oh I listen to Rammstein and X Japan
A : What are they?
B : Rammstein plays German Industrial Rock while X Japan plays J Rock
A : Aiyah not nice lah...
B : Like WTF , you've not even heard them play , how you know not
nice?

A : Cause I don't understand what their language....

OR

Your friend disses you off by saying , " Why you listen to all these kinds of werid music when you don't even understand what they're singing?!"

I though music was considered universal? It does not matter what language we all speak but rather people bond together through music which in laymen terms is the so called "Common Language" among the people of the world...

Seriously , I really don't mind listening to African Rock or Eskimo Metal etc as long as it sounds good disregarding the language barrier...

For me , I dare say that I can clique easily with music which is of a different language provided it sounds nice to me...
I TOTALLY AGREE. LANGUAGE LYRICS IS NOT IMPORTANT because.. MUSIC IS THE LANGUAGE THAT EVERYONE UNDERSTAND.

so anyone here likes Mat-rock? i like..some people even worse just laugh at this term without listening to Mat rock music..are you all part of them?

To me, the best song in the world is Tender Surrender. And it doesn't have any words. Neither do the classical opuses.

NeverRust said:
so anyone here likes Mat-rock? i like..some people even worse just laugh at this term without listening to Mat rock music..are you all part of them?

I'll always be looking forward to the soloing part :D

Have u all heard indonesian rock music?? It'nice music though.. Bands like Sheila on 7,Peter Pan and Padi are sum bands that hit the mtv charts recently..

Nice.. :smt067

Back