Labella Supersteps, eep!! HELP!!!

CrispyEgg

alritey! took me long enough but i finally ordered `em labella super steps, fixed them up, adjusted everything and sat down to play around with my new strings. SWEET TONE.

MAJOR DRAWBACK: There's an unwanted tone on every string except the 1st. further 'testing' revealed that its because for the 2nd-6th string, their core rests on the saddle (i think i got the terms correct) and this causes a tone equivalent to the 16th fret of each string. its heard very, very loudly when any note above the 12th fret is played. the 1st string is safe because it isnt tapered or anything. i've used other strings and this is the first time i've seen the core of the B string on the ball end.

QUESTION: did i just buy a "wrong set of strings" or is there a solution (obvious as it may be, i dont know ANY solution right now, other than BUY OTHER STRINGS) to this problem??? this set has awesome tension (low tension, thats what i always look for) and no matter how ironic it sounds, it has good tone.

lets hope someone can save me.

Afaik, due to the fact that the core wire rests over the saddle (without the outer windings), the string vibrates more freely. Hence increasing the harmonic content, which leads to stronger overtones.

The stronger the harmonic overtones, the more diminished the fundamental sounds. Some players might like this in a slap situation. Unfortunately on some rare cases, the overtones become overpowering, which I believe is the case over here.

A change of strings would be a good option if u dun like the overtones.

While we're on this very interesting topic....
I was playing around with some Ring mod effects and Pich shifting and was somewhat violently reminded of the situation Crisyegg is in. This might be a case of being sensitive to the particular amount of overtones youre experiencing. What James said is very true. We both offered that a change of strings would help (or make it worse) depending on what you get. Other alternatives:

1) Flatwounds. Dull, high frequencies = lower volume. Fundamentals = Strong.
2) Half wounds. Somewhere in between Flats and Rounds.
3) Non Tapered Round wounds. You know la.

GOod luck

sweet! who wants my newly stretched but un-"used" strings =X

haha the overtones are killing, yet rather colourful in a nice way. it gives the notes on the 1st-12th fret a new and nice sound, but i cant play stuff above the 12th frets esp any melodies or riffs etc., which is what i need too =(

thanks for teh info!

You bass need to be set up, re-intonated and pickups lowered for La Bella Super Steps. It's not so much the overtones you're hearing but the "out of pitch" tones you're hearing.

Don't believe me, let me work on your bass and be amazed :D

the tones are heard even "raw" (without plugging in bass)

most of the time i do my adjustments myself, including intonation... yea maybe there's something wrong somewhere perhaps... how'd i get in touch with u?

CrispyEgg said:
the tones are heard even "raw" (without plugging in bass)

most of the time i do my adjustments myself, including intonation... yea maybe there's something wrong somewhere perhaps... how'd i get in touch with u?

E-mail me at empty71 at hotmail dot com or thru my website. Please advise make and model of your bass in your e-mail.

Back