Korg 01/W

bongman

Hi ALL,

Recently I noticed a lot of people are looking for a used Korg 01/W,
I'm wondering why ?

One guy was selling off a Roland Fantom88 and look for a 01/W, X3 or N364 instead. Strange ?

I ever spoke to an Indian keyboardist that plays Indian pop, he says most of Indian pop music uses Korg keyboards and only the 01/W can produce the kind of sound he wants.

He mentioned up to the Trinity series, the Korg sounds are strong but after from Triton onwards with so many features in the synth, the sound went thin.

He ever offered to buy over my Korg 03RW and seems desperate. Makes me wonder?

Myself own a Korg 03RW, X3R and X5DR; and up til today I find the sounds
still usable and pretty good. Yet to try the Trinity or Triton.

Any comments from you experts out there ?

.bongman

O1W has good pianos and Strings..That's the reason Indian musicians look for it..Ask them how much they want to pay..(Less than 500 ? :?: )

Also most of the sequences for Indian songs are in O1W format (Bought from India ?) :roll:

Also the problem with the O1W is

1. Floppy Drive fails (This is 2DD version)
2. Display fails

Else the sounds are nice compared to other KORG synths..
That's why.... :lol:

Moreover This sound programs were designed by Stephen Kay the inventor of KARMA

03RW

Hi Joel,

Thank you for the info,

I wasn't much aware of the synth market back then of Korg 01W
and the X-series time. I'm wondering is the 03RW based on 01W
engine or the X-series engine? Are the X-series, eg X3, considered
a lower-end synth compared to 01W ?

Pls enlighten me. Thank you.

FYI, the Indian keyboardist offered S$300 for my 03RW; but
parting with gear regardless old or new is never my intention.

.bong

Re: 03RW

bongman said:
Hi Joel,

Thank you for the info,

I wasn't much aware of the synth market back then of Korg 01W
and the X-series time. I'm wondering is the 03RW based on 01W
engine or the X-series engine? Are the X-series, eg X3, considered
a lower-end synth compared to 01W ?

Pls enlighten me. Thank you.

all the O series of Korg were all designed by Stephen Kay..You can find some of their' sounds in KARMA...Basically O series and X series carry same synthesis AI2...designed by Stephen Kay..Warm sounds ...and nice wavefprms..
Trinity and Triton carry HI Synthesis..designed by Japanese..
waveforms more inclined towards modern music like Dance, Hip Hop and Techno...

:idea: Better keep them as long as you can use...not worthy to sell at Karanguni Price.. :lol:
FYI, the Indian keyboardist offered S$300 for my 03RW; but
parting with gear regardless old or new is never my intention.

Bong.!

They would certainly offer too low..My market value for all of them is above 400 and for O1W is 500..

BTW I am looking for DX7..Any help !

Re: Super DX7 module

bongman said:
Thanks Joel !

Someone is selling a Super DX7 module:

http://soft.com.sg/new/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8404&mode=&order=0&thold=0

I'm considering the A4000/3000 sampler but hardware samplers are phasing out, so may not be a good investment.

Any comments folks ?

Cons:
A3000/4000 architecture confusing to new comers (I borrowed one before).
SCSI is super slow compared to Akai.

Pros:
Nice sounds

Conclusion:
Get a soft synth instead if your computer is powerful enough.
Can also consider the EMU X system.

Bong! I am looking for Keyboard..not module..

Dont buy Yamaha Samplers...better to use some virtual instruments like Halion, EXS24 and Motu Mach Five..

Worth..! to buy Software Samplers...

Judgement ! :lol:

Hardware samplers just occupy the rackspace and no use..

Ditto to the above. Hardware samplers are a thing of the past. Most software samplers read multiple formats anyway - if not, they can be easily converted. Don't forget there's Gigastudio, to add to the above list of soft samplers.

Wah! DX7! I would have grabbed it immediately if I'm hanging around in Singapore. This is vintage stuff!

Heehee.... I could have one or two DX7 up for offer soon. Got them from storaged condition. Tested one working, other one not yet test. Will spend some time to service & spruce it up.

These should be the mark I model (eg. 80's type). Will release details soon as i find the time to finish the job. Any interested parties around?? What's your offer for a fully working one?

DX7

http://www.thedx7.co.uk/DX7_MK1_Special.htm
a DX7 site,
we shld change this thread to DX7 instead of the original 01/W.

missed the era on DX7, I came to the MIDI world after DX7 when
Korg M1 was making waves.

Good to see the DX7 still in demand, an Indian friend just call to
ask for any DX7 seller. He mentions DX7 and 01/W are the best
synth ever made. Any comments from anybody?

Best synth, can't say. But DX7 is the first complete midi synth that is produced. People still go for those great FM sounds. But simulations are getting better especialyl with softsynths - gives more polyphony as well.

As for Korg O1/W, can't say I like it (sound-wise and ergonomics-wise). The eariler Korgs doesn't agree with me much.

Full thesis on Korg 01/w

Well, in my opinion Korg 01/w is history. It's very sad that this synth is getting extinct due to its sticky keys, floppy disk drive & display. There is no 01/w out there that is working perfectly deut to these problems. City music has no more spare parts for them. Sold mine before and its the only synth that i've missed soo much ever since i sold it. I will never forget this synth forever. I have owned a Triton studio & triton rack before. But they still lose out to the 01/w in accoustic sounds & strings. Everything sounded so good with dynamic filters & waveshaping capabilities (thanks to Stephen Kay).

New age maestro Kitaro still uses the Korg 01/w till to date for his concerts. One of his keyboardist would be playing the Korg 01/w ProX version while his other keyboardist would be utilising a Korg 01/w FD. Even Kitaro himself was using a Korg Trinity, another powerful Korg synth. Yanni also used 3 Korg 01/w pro's & 3 trinity's pro/proX for his 1997-1999 entourage. Even till to date, the 01/w's still are his main synths in his studio. He has only recently acquired the Korg Triton Studios' for his ongoing live shows. Alot of artistes have got the latest gears like the Motif, fantom & tritons, but im really sure they all miss their 01/w's. Phil Collins has even said that he best composes with a 01/w. Ming Freeman also loves the 01/w alot. It has been said that one of the designers for the Korg 01/w had left Korg Inc for Yamaha to build up its synth market & Yamaha owe its success of their Motif series to him. Stephen Kay meanwhile stayed on with Korg producing demo sequences for their synths, while working on his Karma technology for several years.

Korg released the X-series & N-series after the 01/w under the same AI2 sound architecture. Though, they had new & improved sounds, they lacked the necessary filters & waveshaping the 01/w had. Thus 01/w still had the punch & richness in its sounds. Even when Korg released its revolutionary Trinity, it did have some unique & modern sounds esp the drums. However, it still lost out to the 01/w in accoustic sounds & strings. The Trinity had a powerful sequencer, lovely touch screen, ribbon controller & much a few improved sounds including the drums. Other than that, the 01/w still cld beat it flat. After 5 years , the triton was introduced. It had double the sounds found in trinity, but not much of a difference. In fact, the trinity had better sounds. The triton won in a better drums, dual polyphonic arrpeggiators, double polyphony, bigger sequencer & faster OS. Other than that trintiy still had its own character.

Im not here to condemn the triton since im a triton studio user myself. But, to all the users out there who own a trinity & a korg 01/w. Dunt sell ur synths for a triton as the 01/w & trinity are very diff from the triton. I bet with u all my life, i've seen many triton users who tell me that they miss their 01w's & trinities. You will knoe that there is sumthing missing in ur music after u get rid of them. So dunt do the mistake I & many other keyboardists did before.

Back