ibanez

save a little more & get the SA160

Ibanez%20SA160%20QMLAM.jpg

Dont know about that, but I think the Ibanez Ergodyne is a very decent guitar to begin with. Body shape is like that of the JS series. H-S-H, vintage trem, if I remember correctly. Not sure if it's 22 or 24 frets though.

the EDR series by Ibanez is more than a decent guitar to start with, it's a reflection of the JS design but a little hefty in its overall weight & price tag for a starter...

Maybe it IS a little expensive for a starter, but worth every penny in my opinion. Perhaps a regular RG would be good? There's a beautiful RG450LTD on sale at Swee Lee Bras Basah. Mirror pickguard, shartooth inlays, 24 frets, floating trem (Edge I think) and HSH pickup configurations. Can't remember the price though, but it IS cheap for an RG series.

Praetorian said:
Dont know about that, but I think the Ibanez Ergodyne is a very decent guitar to begin with. Body shape is like that of the JS series. H-S-H, vintage trem, if I remember correctly. Not sure if it's 22 or 24 frets though.

22 frets. In any case i'd recommend a beginner to stay away from the floyds. As Sub has already recommended, the SA should more than cover the grounds of most genres of music. So I suppose you'd do fine with one. Good luck hunting!

About the Floyd thing, it IS good experience to get a floyd rose and tune/restring it. The Edge Pro bridge is pretty user friendly. But to each his own. I still reccomend the EDR or RG450LTD =P

The Ibanez SA160 retails for around $400, $400+ list price, if I am not mistaken. As does the SA260. Both at Swee Lee.

SA160
2-point Ibanez TZ30 standard fulcrum tremolo
Ibanez 5-way switching system
S-S-H PowerSound pickups
Tapered Mahogany body

I really am not sure what the difference is between both the SA160 and SA260FM except for the 260's flame maple top. If anybody knows, please correct me.

the SA160 IMO is a good guitar, it's much more affordable than the elder sibling, SA260 namely due to the flame maple laminate top. also the 160 uses more pieces of wood for the body but it plays real well, worth every cent.

sadly the 160 is discontinued for 2005, what's left in the stores are remaining units, grab one quick if you are interested (no, i'm not affiliated to the distributor of this brand name).

why i recommend this guitar:
*nice overall design
*very comfortable curved top
*manageable vibrato, unlike the floating units, which become cumbersome when re-stringing is concerned
*neck not too thin
*very good pickup combo- you get both single coils & humbucker for versatility. the GSA series are nice but why not save a little more for something more appealing? after disct, it should be slightly more than $400...

if you insist on a Gio series Ibanez, after the demise of the GAX-70, IMO the best on offer is the GSZ120
GSZ120SV.jpg

you can read about its performance/ price info here: http://www.soft.com.sg/new/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2316

$1350 is before discount. my advice- don't pay more than $1K for it... but it's the last few to grab, if you see any at all...

sorry if i am diverging....but what isit about RG that makes it so darn good or populaR? feel like getting one. but thats jsut b'cos every1 is talking about it...lol

you shouldn't get it just because the average bloke owns one- never. that's the wrong reason to own the RG. many players who are after contemporary tones vouch for the RG's versatility, especially after they have auditioned one.

subversion said:
you shouldn't get it just because the average bloke owns one- never. that's the wrong reason to own the RG. many players who are after contemporary tones vouch for the RG's versatility, especially after they have auditioned one.

+1 Subby, you always hit the nail on the head in gear questions, don't you.

:prayer: Subby

I got my RG because I love the versatility of the guitar.

Latest posts

Back