Ibanez SZ320

subversion

Ibanez_SZ320.jpg

Ibanez SZ320
List: $800

I already own the SZ320, a very fine guitar per se, even Marty Friedman was impressed by it, it`s his current guitar of choice. I was moved to try the 2005`s manifestation because it features Duncan/ Ibanez pickups…

The SZ is a departure form the skinny necked RG models, it`s also set-necked as opposed to the RG`s bolt-on assembly. Frets are the jumbo make this time round (as oppossed to the medium version, previously). The headstock is also a peculiar sight, 3-tuners per side, unlike majority of Ibanez solid bodies, which sport 6-a side layout. The body`s thicker, than the RG & it only features a rear chamfer (depression like the Fender strat, so that your rib cage fits snugly in there), because the top is an arched construction, think Les Paul… the scale length is also slighly shorter than an Rg`s- 25.1"

The rather meaty, rounded, C-profiled neck, is no hindrance if you are a shred-head, just need a little getting use to. Unlike the proverbial set-neck construction we know too well in a certain singlecut guitar, the SZ`s version allows for immaculate upper fret access with only a hint of bulk at the 20th fret. Not excuse for not being able to reach the remaining 2 frets. My gripe with the electronics here is the mini, pickup toggle switch which is very stiff, appreciate if it would be slightly bigger too… The highlight of the SZ model is of course its (Gibraltar III) bridge- it was conceived especially for the SZ, devoid of sharp edges & it proved its worth; very comfortable picking palm placement indeed. This feature, coupled with the through-body stringing, make the SZ a sweet, sustain machine. How are those Duncan Ibanez humbuckers then?

Seymour Duncan collaborated with Ibanez for selected models this 2005 to give you, a more expansive tonal palette. In addition to the Dimarzio-IBZ pickups in other guitars, this move is a plus for us tone mongers. I had a very high expectation from this guitar prior to this try-out simply because I`m a Duncan convert (but I still adore certain Dimarzios), I`m happy to report the present tonal difference (applause all round, please). The superseded default Ibanez SZ humbuckers were no different from those notorious Powersound, Infinity & Axis pickups, in many entry-level models that we kept auditioning & dislike. The Duncan Ibanez models here had their top end trimmed but not excessively because the neck unit gave off the much needed clarity when one plays the upper frets. Back your volume off & you`ll hear the Alnico Pro-type vintage overtones, which is so pleasing, with lots of upper end transparency. Blues? No problems… The bridge humbucker also performed equally well treble-wise. Clean, these pickups are above-average but it`s nothing like what the Ibanez Super 58 units would offer. To be precise, both these pickups were modelled after 2 popular Seymour Duncan units currently offered in the market- the Distortion (bridge) & `59 (neck).

It`s good to know that the `05 SZ320 maintained its high construction (forgot to mention the superb body binding- no frayed ends anywhere + well-dressed frets) & tonal standards. Kudos to Duncan for this long awaited collaboration, we hope to see more Ibanez with similarly voiced pickups in time to come.

I have yet to try the SZ320.. The reviews is great n it tempts me to try n buy it.. Thanks Subversion for your info.. Do you recommend this guitar to intermediate n professional players? 8)

we should reflect on Marty Friedman's discretion- he chose the SZ320 as a working model for his subsequent signature guitar; clearly the 320's simplicity, playability & tone are winning attributes, anything more is really visual pleasure.

the SZ320 offers a different feel from its famous RG cousins, same goes for tone. do try the guitar personally before deciding. it definitely gets my vote for starter investment/ for advanced players who prefer the ibanez brand name but in search of a departure from the typical Wizard neck appointment.

correct me if im wrong...
but if anything, Marty Friedman's current signature model is based on the OLDER SZ320 series.
as the older SZ320 series features a maple cap, while the current model does not.

i'm also wondering why statements say its based on the SZ320, and not the SZ520.
this is cos the Friedman signature model features a quilted maple top, which of cos was a feature on the SZ520.

yes, Friedman's proto were based on the older SZ320 with the maple cap but that wasn't a specific requirement. friedman picked up the 320 by choice knowing there are the 520/ 720 around. during the proto period, the specification was on playability & tone; he worked with 2 black SZ320 during the Aikawa Nanase days, he could have picked up a non-320 quite easily...

bottom line is- Friedman chose the most basic of the SZ to work with, which is the 320. other add-ons were later inclusions: QM top/ stars inlay/ Duncan pickups/ locking tuners...

btw, was measuring neck dimensions on my guitars.
noticed the SZ neck thickness at 1st and 12th fret is basically the same as the gibson 60s slim taper.

SZ.
1st - 21mm, 12th - 23mm.

60s slim taper.
1st - 0.800" (20.5mm), 12th - 0.895" (23mm).

i guess it would be considered meaty if you're used to the wizard necks.

ah yes... this review is devoid of rating as it was from the older database. i've tried the latest SZ320EX & would be reviewing it soon (have to clear the RG8 first)... 8)

in any case, this SZ320 scores: 87%

SZ's and RG fixed gonna be my choice soon haha. Simple fixed bridges rule. Better sustain... easier to tune and re-string... Aaah you get the idea.

Beautiful guitar for $800 though.

Back