Ibanez SAS36

In your blog on basswood,you mention all the famous shredders.(Joe Satriani, John Petrucci & Paul Gilbert)Do you know any shredders using mahagony and vice versa for classic/hard rock famous guitarist uses basswood?Is there such thing as high and low grade basswood?

I think shredding on a mahogany guitar is fine because you can always E.Q. in more treble response on your amplifier or pedals. Randy Rhoads used a Gibson Les Paul with a mahogany body if I remember correctly, and so does Buckethead and Alex Skolnick (his Les Pauls are by Heritage, I think).

On grades.. I think there is different grades, though the general misconception is that basswood is a 'cheap' wood. The basswood on perhaps an RG Prestige is most likely of a higher grade than the basswood on my low-end Ibanez. But tonally they should be similar.

Maybe we could start a thread on tonewoods? I have some questions regarding NATO wood as compared to agathis and mahogany as well, since NATO is defined as commercial-grade mahogany.

Back