Ibanez SAS36

subversion

Ibanez_SAS36fm.jpg

Ibanez SAS36
List: $1,000

Ibanez, perhaps the most proverbial name in rock guitar, has a revised offering in store for us keen devotees. The SAS model, the line’s set-neck make of the popular SA series, now comes in an HSS pickup combination, together with a top of the line bridge & Ibanez’s new, patent-pending, True Duo humbucker. It is a surprise emergence as the SAS32, the 36’s elder sibling in its range, was a regional exclusive in 2005. When the 36 is featured in the manufacturer’s 2006 catalogue, there is faint hope for it its debut here. Skeptics were proven wrong.

For those new to the SA line of guitars, this model is a derivative of the super sleek S-series, differing only in the flat rear body design & neck dimensions (slight); the SA neck is 1mm narrower at the nut, 0.5mm thicker at the first & 12th fret; minute differences to some of us, substantial to the rest.

The SAS has a colossal visual presence- genuine flame laminate body/ headstock top & binding all round (body/ neck/ headstock). The SAT Pro bridge is now a standard feature of the SA range which adds sophistication while providing rounded parts to enhance palm placement comfort.

In the department where far eastern constructional & fitting standards are primary culprits in plummeting a product’s reputation, the measure exemplified by the 36 will put many other European/ US models to shame. Save for a slight gap between the nut & headstock, the 36 is a winner all round. However, the metal tone & volume knobs here look too bargain-rated to fully complement the guitar’s charming presence.

In use
If the Wizard/ II neck isn’t your cup of tea, the SA version isn’t a total departure either. While the depth of it is too familiar, the width difference should offer players a different experience, albeit not being too varied. The review model came with very low action, coupled with the medium frets, it makes playing a breeze but chords generate an unwanted buzz; the set up could have been better.

The much hyped True Duo humbucker features a stacked single coil for noiseless moments when the pickup is split- yes, the guitar comes with a push/ pull volume knob to achieve this activation. With this additional circuitry, the SAS36 offers the player 7 voicing variation, an array of both humbucking & single coil tonalities are at your disposal. While we applaud the technical aspects of this provision, the True Duo unit falls short of a fine, deep, humbucking tone. In fact, it was uncharacteristically twangy even in its full mode. Unless you supplement it with a bass-healthy EQ setting, things are going to sound excessively bright inherently. The neck/ middle single coils in this guitar are simply sweet, alnico sounding pieces. They fare better than the humbucker in both clean & driven settings.

What can we say of the SAT Pro vibrato bridge? It works well but its degree of responsiveness isn’t as smooth as other vibrato units Ibanez has to offer (Edge/ ZR). It definitely needs a locking set of tuners/ machine heads to ensure more tuning stability when in use. However, the rounded components & embedded action adjustment screws makes playing very comfortable & addictive.

Final comments
A stunning offering by Ibanez, pity the humbucker performance- technical competence vs voicing necessity; which will you choose? The finished neck rear will limit the number of ready fans of this guitar; however, if you embrace the SZ version, this one isn’t any different in terms of feel. The highlight of this guitar is undoubtedly the set neck construction which enhances upper frets access readily.

While it is very heartening to see Ibanez upgrading the SA guitars, they could have done better by addressing a more crucial concern- a guitar SHOULD be more adept in tone above all else. However, the ‘problem’ can be easily rectified with an EQ pedal or a pickup swap. Do not dismiss the SAS just yet.

• Visually stunning
• Above average single coils performance
• Overall playing comfort
• Uncompromised construction/ fit
• Humbucker coil-split option

Dislikes:
• Harsh sounding humbucker
• Budget looking knobs
• Nut not well fitted

trueduo question

hi there all, i have a noob question to ask.
: does the true duo function still work if u swap the bridge pickup?

thanks alot :)

yes it does.

your query refers to the coil-split system of the knob, nothing to do with the pickups. 'True Duo' here refers to the humbucking pickup.

oh i tried this one that time! real nice guitar! if i had enough money i would get this!

thought of getting it too! the finish in front is super cool, but yeah, as the neck is finished as well... playability becomes yucky for me... handsweat+ glossy neck = yucks...

my first electric guitar is an RG, which sports a gloss-free neck. after playing it for years, i virtually couldn't play anything else but i bought a Les Paul to challenge myself- if i can play, regardless of whichever guitar i play, it shouldn't be a problem. if there are hindrances along the way, it's due to personal likes/ dislikes. 8)

it not 'better', it's 'different':

*SAS36 set neck vs SA260 bolt-on

*SAS36 gloss mahogany neck vs SA260 satin maple

tonewise, the SA260 has a little more twang in the single coils, namely due to its bolt-on make + maple neck. the SAS36 has more midrange spike.

in terms of playability, both guitars would please shred mongers & those who are after above-average playability in general. if you are possessed by upper fret access, the SAS would be more pleasureable, however, the gloss neck might be a turn off (if you are a Les Paul fan, nothing would be amiss).

Thanks for the detail explanation.I am glad I have the right guitar for me...

Can you elaborate more on type of woods.. Mahagony,Alder and Basswood

and their characteristics,due to your vast knowledge,dont please dont mind

me asking...I appreciated it :D

as requested: wood types & tonality... 8)

Ash
*very dense wood, in fact, the preferred production version is the lighter swamp ash/ light ash variety
*very resonant (best for cleans + single coil, the reason Fender uses this wood time & again) due to its open grain but the most repulsive when it comes to finishing
*very bright sounding due to the accentuated top end, reduced midrange + booming bass. we refer to this today as the 'scooped' tone...
*if you think you deserve a killer neck-pickup voicing, the ash body is recommended + maple neck/ fretboard

Basswood
*in the lay person's vocabulary- 'nice & neutral'
*can be influential in bottom end accentuation (not much contribution to midrange/ treble hence the name...), depending on the mass
*preferred body wood to propel your favourite pickups
*the softest wood in the family, dents easily
*personal account: i simply respect the average basswood Fender Strat; while everyone looks up to the alder/ ash version, the basswood strat has better bottom end influence, while not mushing out the twang

Alder
*an all-rounder; even frequency response
*close grained, easily the finisher's dream wood when it comes to solid colours (again the Fender reference- remember the fiesta red? thanks to alder...)
*personal account: alder reacts very well to driven, passive pickups. easily the blues-crunch preferred tone wood

Mahogany
*the most popular due to its lower-midrange propulsion; warm, fat, bottom end- this is it (think: Les Paul)
*the weight (not spine-friendly, this one) accounts for the bottom end influece also
*responsible for ill-defined tones if not matched by the correct drive/ pickup/ speaker voicing
*not the wood to embrace if you like bright top ends

Poplar
*very close to alder (the reason why Fender used it prior to the alder implementation) but softer yet not basswood soft
*more economical than alder
*personal account: every time i think of poplar, i think of Steve Morse- the man's insistance on this wood for his signature EBMM guitar just goes to show that there's no superiority involved, just personal preference.

:smt024

agathis is of the mahogany lineage, it's a preferred wood type for budget models as it's one of the most affordable in terms of cost.

some people would debate passionately over agathis' tonal similarities to its mahogany cousin because the former sounds thin & uninspiring but this manifestation is largely due to the budget electronics that propel the bland tone rather than the wood's pedigree per se :cool:

Thnks Bro,kau org melayu ah?Thks for knowledge sharing.But I know your defense on basswood.This is what I think..basswood=Metal,shredders, mahagony=classic,hard rock
Betul tak?

Back