Ibanez RGT42DX

subversion

Ibanez_RGT42DX.jpg

Ibanez RGT42DX
List: $1,250

There are currently two through-neck models offered by Ibanez; the Prestige RGT220 & the RGT42DX, the latter being the more affordable Korean make which has a cult following among the brand name`s enthusiasts. This year, the RGT42 returns with a slight cosmetic make-over but retaining very much the playability & finesse which makes this guitar a popular choice among the RG afficionados.

Features/ fit/ finish
This 2005, the RGT42 sees a mahogany body upgrade & shark tooth inlay fretboard markers. The neck still sports the finished rear, which is a hit/ miss with many players, & that immaculate through-neck construction which makes upper fret access a breeze. The RGT42 is the only RG in the non-Prestige offering to retain the Edge Pro II floating vibrato bridge, the others in its range now sports the Edge III make. The default humbuckers in this guitar are still the Ibanez Infinity series which are above average but not quite as fantastic as we`d like it to be.

A little on the sharkt tooth markers: It seems that the RGT42 sports an interesting version of them; these are a 2-piece make, a mother of pearl-like, white background material, coupled with a pearloid type foreground piece. It looks visually disturbing but be assured that these are impressively put together & present no demerits to the scrutinizing players.

There are no physical demerits to report here except for the dry rosewood fretboard area near the locking nut.

Playability/ tone
If you still associate RG models with excessively thin neck profiles, then the Wizard II will present enough physical presence to prove its difference. The finished rear gives off a sleek look but feel-wise, you either like or dislike this guitar. Nevertheless, upper fret access is impressive, thanks to the bolt-free, through-neck construction. However, I`m a little perturbed by the walnut stripe underneath the finished surface as it makes its presence felt to the touch.

The default Infinity pickups here sound acceptable, the finished neck has somehow curbed their excessive midrange inclination to make them sound rather boomy with neutral EQ settings on the audition amp. Both units remain equally fantastic under high gain settings with the neck counterpart displaying a very classic tone without too much transparency. The split tone of this guitar is a bland offering, if you`ve tried the SA120, you`d hear a healthy dose of single coil clarity in there, unlike the compressed notes you hear from this guitar.

Last say
The RGT42DX is a rock guitar, through & through; I`ll doubt anyone would buy it for its clean tones which aren`t its forte. The mahogany switch makes this guitar more likeable tonewise; I hear more workable tones from this one, than its basswood predecessor. It might just be that finished necks & mahogany bodies go better than any other combinations (the proverbial Les Paul sports such a combination, if you don`t already know). If you aren`t keen on finished necks (like I am), then steer clear. I personally believe that the price tag is a winner with many budget conscious players (remember, it`s before discount), keeping in mind that the RGT42 is a through-neck guitar, not a set neck manifestation. A worthy investment for RG lovers who are after a different feel.

apologies for the delayed reply.

the EPII bridge retains tuning well after after extended whammy applications, no worries there 8)

however, there are people here who deem this bridge a little stiff in comparison to the discontinued Lo-Pro/ Edge series. that's expected as these 2 manifestations are mechanically different.

depends on the bridge model per se. some requires cavity routing to accomodate different specs.

seasoned Ibanez players here will tell you that the Edge derivatives are very functional & worthy of your investment. therefore, 'better' is subjective.

hello... this is quite old but i'm REALLY interested in getting this, so do u think this guitar can last me? i mean like 5 to 10 years or so? without me having to change one?

if you take care of any guitar, this one included, it'll last... 8)

do give considerations to the following models too:

*MTM2
*RGT6EX

The rusting is expected to happen no matter how well you baby it cause of the weak plating/finish of the metal parts.

Yep. And also the new RGT42DX has an EDGE III, no longer the better(in my opinion) EDGE PRO II. Much appreciated, since this(or the the RGTCR2 variant) is my axe. Thx! And hv u considered recommending replacement pickups in ur reviews? Might be of some help.

until i actually play the revised model (like until i actually play the revised Fender Highway1 Strat...), there won't be documented revisions here. i did this for the SA120, yes?

for specs update, the manufacturer's website is a more useful reference.

Back