Ibanez: RGR321EX

subversion

Ibanez-RGR-321-EX-BK-inkl-Gigbag-und-Gurt.jpg

Ibanez RGR321EX
List: $650

Have you been floored by the simplicity, playability & singing good tones of the RG321? Well, this 2007 sees the introduction of an RG321 variation- a reverse headstock RGR321. In addition to this quirk, the RGR features a gloss body finish, a pair of designed-by EMG humbuckers, basswood body & a 3-way pickup toggle switch.

Construction/ fit/ finish
Unlike its regular headstock sibling, the RGR321 is a native of Indonesia. This RG isn’t one enhanced GIO model by virtue of its country of origin. You’d do well to inspect this ware closely & fault the manufacturer for whatever unbecoming finishes on board- there are none. The contentious element here proves to be the rather pale fretboard (hinting at budget grade rosewood) but no excessively dry patches are detected.

On the flipside, the 4-bolt (screws rather) cavities display a bare finish, the natural basswood hue is clearly visible here; should the screws be flushed against the body’s surface & not worked into body enthusiastically, this nudity would be invisible. So is there a cost cutting exercise in terms of finishing? As the situation would suggest, this remains internal, nothing too visually repulsive.

Upon handling, the RGR is rather massive (despite sporting a basswood body make) alluding to the finish which adds on to the substantiality in weight, a marked difference from its satin finished, more light weight sibling, the RG321. The headstock/ neck/ body binding is a touch of class at this price point.

All’s good on this front.

Rating: 9/10

Playability/ tone
With pertinent apprehension, the reviewer wishes to assure all interested parties the superb playability of this guitar. The very impressive neck built & finish serves to be the primary attraction. If you are new to the Wizard II neck profile, be informed that it’s a meatier manifestation of the thin Wizard neck but remains every bit as playable. This is the second Indonesian Ibanez I played which features an excessively smooth, satin finished maple neck rear. Some players would find this annoying because that powdery feel deprives you of grip.

The reverse headstock requires a little adaptation, especially so for players who are accustomed to the top-side tuner location, be it an Ibanez guitar or others. Confession- this reviewer actually snaps his low E string while tuning, owing to this sheer confusion (last tuner near the headstock tip- usually a high E).

If you are an avid satin finish devotee, the gloss finish here would conjure some reasonable misgivings of a loss in midrange response; this is where the designed by EMG (DBE) pickups come to light. Despite being a pair of passive units, these DBEs display tonal characteristics of their EMG HZ cousins. There is a generous midrange bite which mixes well with the rather bassy default tones. Keeping this in mind, this guitar is better off driven than clean, the latter setting here is at best, mediocre. Nevertheless, if you roll off the RGR’s volume control & proceed to activate both humbuckers simultaneously, there is a substantial blues-crunch response which your BOSS Blues Driver would be at home with. For all things drive-intense or high gain, the RGR321 is simply the guitar for the job.

**Tone test euipment:
-Randall RG75 amp
-Ibanez ValBee amp
-Roland Micro CUBE amp
-BOSS DS-1
-BOSS Blues Driver
-EHX Little Big Muff
-EHX NANO Metal Muff
-Digitech Death Metal
-Behringer GDI21
-Ibanez TS7

Rating: 8.5/10

Conclusion
Is the RGR321 a budget MTM2 derivative? Forgive the looks but the latter guitar sports a gloss neck rear as well as a pair of Ibanez’s own V (covered) pickups- making it (sorry Mick Thomson fans) less stinging, drive-wise & very different in feel. The RGR’s string-through body ensures a healthy sustain in the mix. For a more expansive tonal offering, owners would do well to swap the toggle switch for a 5-way option.

Thumbs up to the distributor for making this guitar as affordable as its regular headstock version. The fantastic feel & tone would attract players who are in for an affordable guitar which isn’t short of class.

Rating: 9/10

• Simple features
• Price

Dislike:
• Finish anomaly at guitar’s rear (minor)

Worthy competitors:
• Hamer Californian CX2
• LTD M50

oooh... the last time i checked, there was at least a handful in stock, the RGR is a good guitar, snapping them up early is wise, especially before the GST hike... 8)

hey sub, yet another great review from the man!

just one thing to add though, maybe you could comment who you think this guitar would appeal to? in terms of genre, style etc?

also, whether this is a mid-range/entry level guitar.
yup, i think that would help newer players like myself.
like for example, in your review of sa120 you mentioned that it is recommended as an entry level guitar, and this would certainly help newer buyers to zero-in for such guitars.

looking forward for more reviews from you!
cheers

My gf just got probably the last piece in SG last week. I would say other than the stock pickups and 3-way switch, the rest of the hardware is decent and does not need swapping immediately. Imo, it's 1 of the recommended guitars for it's no frills concept mainly due to it being a fixed bridge.

Just tune up and go. 1 thing though, I've not seen the other stocks before but the one that we've got the rosewood board looks mighty fine. If it's consistent for the others, then i say go for it. For it's price, you'll be hard pressed to find a handful of guitars to beat it's features

i have ceased recommending particular guitars for specific genres because whatever guitars there are out there, if one suits the player's needs & the music s/he propels, it's downright suitable regardless of its brand name/ shape.

a case in question: Fender's Strat would be the last guitar you'd associate black metal with but Marduk's Morgan Harkensen prefers one (pic), so the sure formula of designating a specific guitar to a music genre is largely pop culture & make-belief.

marduk1.gif

as for the RGR321 above, i did mention the guitar being more preferred for high gain settings.

referring to the nature of any guitar itself, the price indicator is largely attributable to the tier it belongs to, in this case, the RGR's $650 price tag is indicative of the more affordable, entry-level units but if you have personally come across the RGR321, 'entry-level' is the last tag you'd give to this guitar. i have no idea if Ibanez decided to up the ante for their more offordable offerings but i'm somehow glad the RGR321 is what it is- a well conceived, good sounding guitar.

the industry, putting price indicators in good measures, tend to designate the $1K+/- guitars in the mid-priced category, anything more affordable usually goes for less than this amount, hence the 'entry-level' specification. this is again, very subjective- how much is an entry-level Gibson?

edo83: i had plans to swap the pickups + employ a 5-way selector but have decided to keep the guitar as it is 8)

i tried a RGR321 today.
i could swear what looks like neck binding is actually painted on.
reason - cos i saw little pinhole sized dots of rosewood coloring coming thru the 'binding' on certain areas.

they couldve also taken alittle more time to match color of the 'binding' on the neck with that on the body.

i tried a RGR321 today.
i could swear what looks like neck binding is actually painted on.
reason - cos i saw little pinhole sized dots of rosewood coloring coming thru the 'binding' on certain areas.

they couldve also taken alittle more time to match color of the 'binding' on the neck with that on the body.

where did u try it? i tot its out of sale?

at this price bracket, please consider the possibility of the manufacturer implementing virtual features.

are those real inlays in the fretboard? :roll:

where did i try it? well im not in singapore if that answers your question :p

if only they made a RGR321MH, i would consider it.

Back