Ibanez Guitars HELP!!!

ljahalive

Hi.

I have been thinking of changing guitar for a while. I have 4 guitars in mind.(Woah!).

1. Ibanez JEM7V
2. Ibanez JS1200
3. Ibanez S5470
4. Ibanez RG3550MZ

Genres:Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Blues, Instrumental Rock(Steve Vai and Joe Satriani)

Main Problem:I play BOTH Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. Thus not sure whether to get JEM or JS. I was thinking a non signature series will be fine, but i really want a signature series.

Can recommend me one from the above? If not at least help me scale down my choices. Just tell me straight in my face on which to get. It will be nice if you explain too.

Thank You Guys A Lot.

P.S. I have G.A.S.

I heard that the Joe Satriani model is designed to sound rather flat so that he can modify the tone to his liking more easily with his pedals / amps. In other words, it doesn't sound that good. But I haven't heard it in person before so don't take my word for it.

Just my opinion, but why pay more just for the artist's name on the guitar? Get the guitar that suits you best. A non-signature guitar is cheaper, and also it might suit you better because what the signature artist likes might not be what you like.

if you are going to get those brand new, I would recommend the Jem7v/JS1200. Why? because both are of are now equipped with the Ibanez Original Edge trem! you have to check whether its new or old stock cos last year they were equipped with Edge Pro.

My preference Edge > Edge Zero. Edge is a very smooth trem and I think that you'd like it. I dare say I have yet to hear a single complain regarding the Edge trem.

Oh btw, 22/24 frets will sound different in the neck pickup position. also note that the Jem7v is made out of alder while the JS is made out of basswood therefore different characteristics in terms of tone wood.

Do note that the 2 signature guitars are also equipped Dimarzio pickups stock. at the end of the day, try all of them and please do not be biased.

the necks also, all 4 necks have quite differing profiles

the chunkiest being the js(my personal fav amongst the 4)

the jem

the s

thinnest the rg

I would recommend the RG3550. Nice mahogany body with enough weight to give it a nice fat tone, but not overly heavy. The guitar is really very versatile, you can play anything from jazz, to fusion, to hardcore metal. My guitar has this pickup configuration and i find that if you turn down your vol knob, you get a really nice and surprising sparkling almost single coil tone.

I personally dont really like the S series because i find that it lacks body in it's sound and can sound rather thin.(maybe due to the thin body? just my personal opinion)

However, if you compare the JEM over this in terms of asthetics, the JEM takes the win for sure. The JS lacks the 'sex appeal' and to me doesnt really sound THAT great (thats just my personal opinion).

+1 to EugeneSmasher, getting the signature series is more expensive and your tone will lean towards whichever signature series you're getting, which is not what you want. That's why i suggest getting the RG.

True but the RG3550MZ has a basswood body not mahogany.Basswood is fine though,it really goes well with any pickups you throw in on it.For the JEM and the JS all I can say is,I used to own a PGM and i always felt like the guitar wasn't mine,being Paul Gilbert's Signature guitar.lol.So,if i were you,i would choose a guitar which,to me,feels and sounds great.

True but the RG3550MZ has a basswood body not mahogany.Basswood is fine though,it really goes well with any pickups you throw in on it.For the JEM and the JS all I can say is,I used to own a PGM and i always felt like the guitar wasn't mine,being Paul Gilbert's Signature guitar.lol.So,if i were you,i would choose a guitar which,to me,feels and sounds great.

Oops, sorry i think i got confused with other the other RG prestiges.
+2 to you! Cause we use the same guitar as well!! haha

Latest posts

Back