how to open/close hi hat beat

br125

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FmdKklkTkQ8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FmdKklkTkQ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

hi everyone..need some enlightenment..
any gurus out there would like to explain how this hi hat thingy works?
hmm...like when should i beat the hi hat and when should i open or close the hihat?

would be nice if someone could make a tutorial video of a slower version or if there is? :D

COme join us in our comming 5th Meetup Soft Drum Exchange - There will be plenty of Bros here willing to share this or anything pertaining to drummings with you ..

regards

this guy accent the open hi hat note by hitting it with the stick and quickly after that he close the hihat back...

for independent training meaning u don't need to hit the hats when it's open.. many drummers employ the "heel toe" technique...

damn hard to explain on forum... so come join us for the monthly meet ups..

i think this method is called the "heel toe hi hat splash"... very hard to do but always something fun to practise on.

Actually I don't think you need the heel toe technique to do this. It's just hitting and opening the hats on the up beats instead. Think of it as the techno dance beat and you'll get the idea :wink:

mel's right dude...
think of the disco era

the opening of the hats are on the upbeats..
and the closing are on the downbeats...

try playing normal 4/4 timing with normal drums playing..
dont follow the guy in the youtube unless youre hands are totally independant of each other

for wat marc meant using heel toe is when you get the same hats sound effect but without touching the hats using your drumstix...
otherwise, normal playing, its just moving your left leg up and down...

try this,
1) do a simple bass drum beat, 4/4 timings on down beat
2) your snare will be hit on the 2s and 4s
3) your left leg follow the movement of your right leg ( or if youre a leftie and master leg's left, the action will be vice versa lah)
4) hit your hihats in 8s instead of in 4s, meaning in quavers instead of crochet... and...
TA DAH!!!!

congratz youre playing disco cum techno!

Try listening to Paramore - Here we go again (Youtube it also can), it sounds similar to that. Very "happy", groovy feel.

Try letting your left leg bounce on the pedal (like a ball), with your heels up, and then slowly add in the hats,bass,snare, and there you go!
:D

go by sound? normally i just listen to the pattern, which in this case is fixed.. so try mentally to tell your left hand and left foot to work to do the hi-hat thingny at the right time? kinda like having a feel for the groove...

i don't think it's a strength ting.. but more a timing ting.. lyk.. u hit it as it opens, and choke it by closing d hi-hat?

i guess tt's how u get d basic sound..

but i doing it so quickly, tt takes abit of prac ..

how its done.

hey guys! i'm the guy in the video from youtube.

the groove is pretty easy, it just takes co-ordination.

my left hand is playing a linear beat by its self (bass, hi hat, snare, hi hat) this leaves my right hand free to do what it wants.

hope this helps :D

just step on the hihat on all the downbeats (1 2 3 4) and hit the hihat on all the upbeats (1n 2n 3n 4n). start by playing all the 1n 2n 3n 4n, then remove the 1 2 3 4 so that you're only hitting on the n's.

in this beat the bass drum and hihat pedals are both stepped on at the same time. it's a really simple thing to do. once u get the basic groove going just use your left hand alone to play the hihat and the snare, then use your right hand on the toms in any way u wish to create that weird jungle/techno sounding groove.

Back