How to give good music lessons?

sofyan

Hey guys. Its more to How to give good Guitar lessons I guess. I was approached by some friends who wants guitar lessons from me. Just the basics I believe. Non electric. Its either the classical guitar or acoustic. So guys any advice or tips on wat i shld teach and how fast i shld go? :)

teach basic chords and strumming? but must make sure they press it real hard. i suggest play on a classical guitar, as it strengthens their fingers better

start with a simple scale. maybe just a c major scale

problem with most people is that they just straight into chords without strrenghtening their fingers(especially the pinkie) and coordination. thats where playing the scale helps.

if it's strum and sing that they want to learn,

ground them with the basics of rhythm and understanding for it.

get them to familiarise with crotchets, quavers and semis (1/4, 1/8, 1/16)

then familiarise them with the major scale chords

then place accents on crotchets, quavers and semis and have them strum to them (vary the accents)

them teach them the basic strum, which is up up down down up, through the placement of accents in quavers (so that they know exactly how the rhythm is derived and that they get themselves used to the hand motion of strumming)

something like that.

that's how i do it, anyways. :)

hope it helps

Tough question. Good player doesn't mean he can teach well also.

Good teaching skill, I must say developed from years and years of experience of teaching.

popeye said:

Tough question. Good player doesn't mean he can teach well also.

Good teaching skill, I must say developed from years and years of experience of teaching.

You might be right there. This will be my first time and I'd really like to do it right. No fixed amount of payment, I'll just take whatever they give me :)

Teach them far beyond the sun on a kapok. Then as a test of courage, valour and initiation, take them to Davis, to shred on a kapok guitar infront of Mr.Davis himself.

"now i will play some blues"

vvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttttttttt.........

i think essentially, u gotta make sure the finger position of the chords are right, stuff like that, try to make sure ur "students" don't develop bad habits. unorthodox methods are fine i think, but they should not inhibit their ability to play. 4 example, i play my Dchord with the middle and 2nd finger tombalek, so look abit farni, but works for me, so... :twisted:

Latest posts

Back