How to connect a Guitar to a mixer

Hi Everyone,

A lot of mixers I have seen have their inputs marked as MIC or Line. Since a guitar signal is neither of those, can I plug one directly into such a mixer and then play with gain to raise it to a higher level?

I know you can use an amp and take out the line level signal. But I am more interested in how I can plug in a guitar directly to a mixer.

Thanks.

if you really have to, there should be a "line out" on your amp, connect that to a DI Box, then connect the XLR OUT in the DI Box to your Mixer.

Hi entrasticemperor

Is this for stage performance or home practise/recording?

If you have one of those multi-efx pedal, it usually have a Line-Out that you can connect to a mixer.

Also, what guitar are you using?

Last edited:
if you really have to, there should be a "line out" on your amp, connect that to a DI Box, then connect the XLR OUT in the DI Box to your Mixer.

Hi,

I have heard this before. But if I am using the line out of the amp, then my signal is already in the Line Level. So what is the purpose of the DI box? Can't I directly connect the Line Out of the amp to Mixer with the 1/4" cable?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi entrasticemperor

Is this for stage performance or home practise/recording?

This was for home practice and recording.

Also, what guitar are you using?

I am using an Ibanez S520EX. I also have a custom built guitar (no brand).

Hi,

I have heard this before. But if I am using the line out of the amp, then my signal is already in the Line Level. So what is the purpose of the DI box? Can't I directly connect the Line Out of the amp to Mixer with the 1/4" cable?

Yup, so you don't need a DI if you're using a line out from your amp.

Alternatively, yes, you can plug your guitar straight to a mixer, but due to the differences in impedance and other factors, you will lose high end treble loss in the signal. Bottom-line is, your guitar will sound horrible and you won't sound at your best.

-----

If you're looking to record, you don't need a mixer, you need an audio interface that can take a line level. This audio interface is a middleman that helps translate your signal from analog into digital so your computer can start recording/editing/mixing it. You will also need to find a Digital-Audio-Workstation (DAW) to work with. Audacity is free, there are others that you can find on the internet.

Hope this helps.

this +1

There's a reason DI Boxes exist.

----------------------------

My set-up, if curious, is:

Mic in front of speakers/amp --> DI Box --> Mixer (to control the volumes between the other instruments) --> USB Audio Interface --> Laptop. Sure I can plug the guitar into the USB interface, but I never get what I want out of that

Back