how far can u stretch?

c to c for me :)

hannon, almost every piece i learn have to relearn again for the next piano lesson.

bonus question: what does this tell u!?
haha.... i don't practice enough!

because i play the guit and trombone,the fingers of my left hand are longer than my right hand so on the piano,my left hand can stretch from a C to E and my right a C to a D........playing more than one instrument does have its disadvantages.........

I walked to my dusty piano for this one.

Mine is C to D, and if i try reaaaaaaally hard, C to E.

OH, and I know this isn't really related to the post, but can someone tell me why I play clumsily on keyboards? I'm fine on the piano but on keyboards im just hopeless =_='''''

you're an unique case u know.most ppl play the piano clumsier(got such word?)than the keyboards..maybe its because you're not used to the keys..the piano keys are harder than the keyboard's so maybe the amount of pressure you apply causes you to play clumsily

juz my 2 cents worth

arljes said:
OH, and I know this isn't really related to the post, but can someone tell me why I play clumsily on keyboards? I'm fine on the piano but on keyboards im just hopeless =_='''''

The feel of the keyboard is totally different from an acoustic piano. I guess it's because you're more used to the feel and touch of the acoustic piano than the keyboard which explains your current situation now 8)

and besides the keys of a keyboard tend to be smaller in size than those of the piano....

actually, it is quite the opposite. it is because piano keys are harder that you won't make mistakes so easily by pressing down two adjacent keys with one finger, instead of pressing the one intended key. velocity is also tricky to control sometimes with synth keys, after you've gotten used to the piano touch. always tend to press too hard when you didn't mean to be that hard, and too soft when u didn' intend to be that soft?

also, synth keys are slightly narrower. you will find that you will be able to stretch about one note longer on the synth than on the piano.

if you're clumsy on the piano instead, then u probably need to use more strength when you play!

arljes said:

Why don't you get a keyboard with weighted keys instead?

I think, in general, Asians would be able to stretch from C to E (1 oct and 2 notes). Unless you are pretty big-sized, your hand span should be able to stretch to more notes.
I used to have this teacher (he's an ang-moh) who could stretch from C to G(!!) That's not the perfect 5th, but an OCTAVE above that!!
Man, his chord voicings were superb, with this kind of hand span. But when I asked him what I could do to emulate what he was doing, he just smiled "pitifully" at me!! :cry: *sigh*

As for Hanon exercises, I used to make it more interesting (for myself at least!) when I play Hanon, by creating variations of it, eg, I would do a SWING version of Hanon, or I would swing the right hand and play straight on the left (or vice versa), then I would play it in a displaced manner (my left hand would start 2 or 3 notes after the right hand has started, and so on so forth!
You could get LOTS AND LOTS of interesting variations in that and it used to keep me occupied (practising Hanon exercises) for hours! :lol:

QF

A bit late here, but I stretch from C to E (octave and two notes). And I have just found out that that is pretty average for a pianist. My ex could stretch from C to G - huge hands. Worked well for his basketball as well haha. I wonder if they have finger growing pills. Hmm.. :roll: =p haha.

I can stretch C to E. haha... why everybody the same one? oh, and i HATED those finger exercises books. yux.

Back