How does one get a keyboardist interested in improvisation?

Re: How does one get a keyboardist interested in improvisati

Cheez said:
qfactor said:
The one who's into "freedom" just doesn't know the rules anymore to "get back in"! :lol:

And I totally agree with you - each should cross over to the other side. Then there will be a balance.

Ya lah, the problem is always, when one is "comfortable" with one side, they don't want to go over the "other" side! :oops:
I guess, it's the "comfort zone syndrome" lah! :wink:
Though, I must admit that I too am guilty of this syndrome leh! :p

QF

Re: improvise..

zerosoul79 said:
heh in my humble opinion as a keyboardist..one is usually force to improvise coz unlike guitarists who have access to gazillions tabs or guitar pro.. its more tedious to find sheet music, unless u transcribe midi files..

I find that a hassle so i just improv.. takes a lot of guts and shamelessness to improv though ..

hence i feel it boils down to confidence.. will take time to build. play as much as u can as many gigs as u will and it'll show.. no short cut remedy here ..heh
Ezal
if you think guitarist have tabs, then you can learn from the tabs on how
guitarist solo. it's music anyway

solo scales:
pentatonic
blues
modes

transcribe from MIDI files is a good idea but lots of time and pain.
the best is to learn by ear and if there are books then from books.

current rock KB soloist:
Dream theater Jordan Rudess - learn his solos
otherwise learn from Top40 solos and Canto pop.

hmmm one way to get him interested can be asking him to do his own version of a well known classical piece, just give him the chords, what scale to use and at least an example should do it. At least that what i did with my students.

Back