How do i record vocals?SM58 or condensers?HELP AH!!haha

Kimmi

Hey Guys,

I wonder whether its really important tat a condenser is used for recording.liek acoustic guitars,amps and especially vocals

I'm trying to record usng a miserable sm58.

I'm using a boss br 1180 which i'm contemplating off letting go.help!

condensers are more sensitive. need phantom power - do you have it? if not, you will need to get a mixer or pre-amp to supply the phantom power.

will pick up the rain sound if you recording vocals in your bedroom.

what do you not like about the sm58?

I don know.Its kinds of soft then loud.and it has this hiss of the air surrouding.maybe its becos my room isn't "dead".

But most condensers are expensive.Is it important to use a pop filter when recording vocals?

how do i dead my room?

first of all sm58 isn't that miserable heheh.

but if you're recording with it and it sounds sorta muffled. and you're on a low budget to afford a condenser. then you have to make do with loads of EQing which may not help much.

indeed condensers pick up the high frequencies better, if you really need to get one thats low priced, the only brand that i can recommend (most ppl diss) is Behringer.
I bought Behringer C2 ($120 for 2 mics!) lately that's more for instrument mike up (drums/guitars), you might wanna check (price range) and compare with other brands.
or if not , go 2nd hand. someone (i believe his nickname is 3rdlogic or something) is selling a Rode NTK for only $400+. and thats a tube mic too. (I got it at $670 4 years ago). although that may be abit heavy duty in your opinion, in terms of pricing , but most of my recording sound changed drastically cos of that mic. of course you need to improve on mike up and mixing also la..

www.behringer.com.sg
www.rode.com.au

and as for your boss recorder it looks fine. if you know how to use that well, you'll know how to learn to use most other hard disk recorders well in future. I'm on a korg d888 recorder. I've been on PC DAWs for 8 years and i had a little trouble moving on to hard disk recorders heheh.

and the "hiss" of air surrounding is it loud? it sounds like your levels settings are wrong, like you wacked up too much gain, but your master levels are low or something. do check.
in case you're not sure about phantom power, yeah I googled your boss recorder, it supports phantom power.

recording vocals, if there's too much popping, change the mic position try not to mike straight at your mouth. cos the air-output causes the poppin'. maybe try mike up at the height of your chin ,but pointing diagonally upwards at your nose. (and don't go tilting your head down to sing at the mic, that defeats the purpose). otherwise get a popfilter, from sweelee, i'm using one that costs $40. or if you want a cheap alternative. get a Hanger-wire, bend it into a shape of a pop filter. take your mom/sis's stockings and wrap over it. DIY.

i don't know, it's not that important to have a dead room to me. but it's important that everyone gets a cup of shut the f*ck up when recording hehe.

cheers

20¢ worth

Kimmi, i don't think that it is a must to use a condenser mic, esp if you are not recording by individual track and not asking for pro level. i feel that if you record in your bedroom, sm58 is more that enough.
maybe your mic sensitivity/gain is too high, which cause the hiss sound. proper equalizing and volume control should be able to do the job.
my advice is to do your final volume by using software, instead of blasting in your room and try to record at that level.

haha,thanks tgcpsgoh and blueprintstudio.Ya its help with the pop filter and i'm pretty happy with the sm58 though i'm alittle skeptical on whether its good enough.haha

though i have to ask,is it important to have a DI box for bass and acoustic guitars.if so do suggest me one.boss are expensive but i read reviews that the boss di box is good.

Back