home studio

GUYrenCE

hi...

just wondering weather is there any big big house use for recording?

like band actually stay in that house??

AIDEN < THIS BAND RECORDS WELL STAYING IN A HOUSE>

i know singapore very small
hmm..but is there?

dude do you mean like, there's a recording studio in the house that a band stays in? like a motel with a recording studio like that?

hmm..somthing like that

because i don't even know what word to use

all i know it's like

some huge house use for recording
which the bands spents like 2-3 months recording

it's not mansion

i'm not sure if there's anything like that here in little Singapore..but you could always look around right? there might be an unknown one

i'm sorry, i didn't mean any offence, I did record vocals overnight in one before. $70 bucks with bed/bathtub and all , quite quiet also, excellent environment compared to home with curfews etc. i do mobile recording at ppl's bedrooms and jamming studios.

cheers

yep, in fact i had that very "Blink182" in mind.. it was in different countries/states or somethin, even the songs were written on spot.

Mmm yeah I know what you mean. Like how Blur moved to Morocco to record in a house for some tracks on Think Tank. Or how Radiohead moved to the countryside, also to record some tracks for OK Computer.

In Singapore? Nah I don't think so. We're so small, we can just commute to and fro our house and the studio, and the point of isolating oneself is kinda lost given how Singapore has no proper countryside/outskirts.

I know some bands who have recorded in abandoned buildings before. But be careful when scouting for such locations. Most likely such places are private properties. Being there already is trespassing. The only way I can think of for you to be able to stay put 2-3 months is to actually rent it for the period you are using it.. and that is a huge chunk of budget.

Other factors to consider before embarking on that idea:

- external sounds that can spoil your recording eg traffic
- room acoustics
- technical set up (as oppose to a studio, where everything is already set up and build to get optimum recording, you are gonne have to do things from scratch)
- amenities eg toilet, kitchen, bedroom, electricity, nearby provision shop

Of course there is the issue of self-discipline of the band. If the purpose of going to such a place is really for the novelty of recording, then go there with that mindset. Anything else will be a distraction, and ultimately unproductive of the band's time and money.

Back