Hi! Sae or soma?

Tchd

Hi ! everyone,

This is my 1st time posting as im seeking for some advice here
Im interested in learning more on music production/engineering
i want to know how to use a pro-tools
& task of studio engineer as well.

I only know Soma & SAe have such courses
anyone knows which is a better sch to go into?
or have other recommendation as well?

Thanks!!

hello, welcome to soft!

maybe you could share with us about your current education? are you planning to take up one of these courses after Os etc?

SAE if you see yourself opening studio or you are interested in studio gears.
For protools, you could buy the software and learn it yourself first even only your laptop or desktop.
Protools 9 has no restriction on hardware. Later buy hardware to recording and mix in the DAW.
More like home studio. Maybe you will buy sampler/software instrument since Protools do not come with anything itself, I think.

SOMA course from my friend, it like crush course. It will better if you touch Protools from what you mention and do a bit of home studio, then you will appreciated the course.

tchd : welcome to SOFT!

I come from the school of hard knocks and DIY.

but to keep to your enquiry there's SAE / SoMA / School Of Media Technology / LaSalle (the rest I know are Poly)

so like what madwerewolfboy has mentioned, according to your certification maybe you can open option to apply for the poly courses.

you really should approach each private school and ask find out what they have to offer than to ask for unofficial misleading representatives according to "their friend" and all that load of crap.

there's also a diploma course in Music and Audio Technology (DMAT) offered in SP, and there's a degree called Recording Arts and Science (RAS) offered at NUS's YST, http://music.nus.edu.sg/03c_students_dpt6.html

these 2 are the cheaper alternative as they school fees are subsidized by govt. RAS is a fairly new course which is relatively unknown, not many know what the mods teach there but the quality should be quite high since YST is part of NUS. all i know is that the prerequisite modules for maths, physics and introductory electrical engineering are no joke as they're the same modules taken by engineers in the 1st year.

DMAT you can either get in with your O grades or through audition. But the cutoff points are quite low for it... RAS, you either need to get in with the prerequisites, or through auditions. I think last yr was their 1st intake. There was 1 student. And this yr she dropped out... This yr there are 3 or 4 intakes :)

No matter what course you plan to go to, it'll be good to try and learn stuff yourself 1st, and read read read

these 2 are the cheaper alternative as they school fees are subsidized by govt. RAS is a fairly new course which is relatively unknown, not many know what the mods teach there but the quality should be quite high since YST is part of NUS. all i know is that the prerequisite modules for maths, physics and introductory electrical engineering are no joke as they're the same modules taken by engineers in the 1st year.

For one moment, I was happy to find out. But seeing that for 2nd major student, then sian. Thought that with my EE diploma can get in.

there's an option to do it as a main major and there's also an option to do that as a 2nd major. you can continue doing EE in NUS but take RAS as a 2nd major, personally i think that's a wiser choice.

I am a bit confuse cos I dunno how intake system work. I'm more interested in RAS, but not very keen to do EEE. After working on some switchboard and domestic electronic repair(more on discreet component), not so interest in study EEE. That mean I have to take EEE and RAS is just an option?

actually, for poly intake, poly students get to start from year 2 only if they continue their line of study. if poly students enter doing a different course from what they took then they will start from year 1. both have their pros and cons, but if you really don't wanna continue EE then you should try RAS straight.

do you want to become an audio engineer/producer/mixer/etc and actually want to work in the industry, or do you just want a fancy cert?

if it's the former - my suggestion has always been to take the 10 or so grand you're going to spend on school fees and buy $10k worth of recording/audio gear instead. spend the next two years or however long the course is supposed to be learning how to use the gear yourself. read up obsessively. the internet is your friend. buy books,magazines. put theory into practice and record music, even if it's for free or dirt cheap.

itll only work if you truely want it . to put in the hours and get the experience yourself, and on your own terms. if you don't, well audio school wouldn't have helped you anyway.

and at the end of the day you decide you're not quite cut out for this thankless and underpaid job..you can always sell off all the gear and make at least half back. can't say the same for audio school fees....

^ Agree.

To the TS, most important thing is....do you actually have the PASSION for this? Or is it just something of a fleeting interest, good-to-have kind of thing, or a "cool thing to pursue because I see others doing it"? Do you see yourself in this line of work and industry for many years to come?

If you don't have the passion, you will be studying and later working like a zombie on auto-mode. If you have the passion, by all means pursue your dreams.

I've a young friend who spent lots of money and time on the courses you described. He was burdened by all the assignments and projects that he barely scraped through. After graduation, he worked for a music production company (dream come true?). He stayed there for only one year because he said it's not only long hours, but also a thankless job with a fussy boss. But I personally believe he doesn't have the passion for this from the very beginning. He's now a property agent and doing decently well.

But one thing for sure....if you have a true passion (ie. eat, drink and sleep audio engineering), you will eventually work your way to become a highly sought after recording engineer or even music producer in the industry.

if you're not sure, like i am, you can try what i'm doing now. do an engineering or science major in NUS, then 2nd year apply and audition for RAS as 2nd major. there'll be no additional cost in school fees though you will have to overload 1 module per sem for about 3 or 4 sems.

if you don't do engineering / science, it's okay, just that it'll be quite hard to map your modules if you're in biz or fass because you need to take 2 maths and 2 physics modules that are allocated to engin peeps in the 1st year.

the most important thing is the knowledge you get and your personal portfolio. imo, this line doesn't require papers to prove you're good at it.

don't go to sae + listen to unsane as like I said, I come from school of hardknocks, autodidactism, living example, spent around $15-$20K in the last 8 years though. starting to earn back to break even 0 (apart from my dayjob. let the passion pay for itself)

you can always study later. audiotechnology is everchanging you have nothing to lose if you take up a cert (if really required) later.

Well, you could go to some studio to learn as some will open courses. I learn music arrangement from a commercial studio, so get to know and feel the "real" world. At some point, I need to send my work to the studio. But then, study under all the recognised school allow to enter the eduction market pretty well. I do teach a few student, but I cannot teach school that work under AMIS system. No cert that the problem.

One thing you cannot ignore that by taking courses, it could lead you something unexpected. No just getting knowledge and paper. However, you need to be proactive to find out what open for you.

Another off topic comment. I went to a few branded pri/sec school. They have very good music room. Pretty advance computer with simple home studio setup. A lot of music instrument, and some expensive grands. All the school, I went don't have a proper recording facilities. At this moment, it is an area ignore by vendor. Other"in" thing is "iBand" concept that start surrounding the school. I have involved this kind of thing too.

Back