HELP!!! TNT studios

Status
Not open for further replies.
ghg

Yeah Peace No War......
To Each his own....
One For ALLL n All For themselves...............
hehhehhhe!!!!! :bear: :bear: :bear: :bear:

turbochicken said:
ok :)

tell you the truth also, i prefer my BFD for drum sounds, to tnt.

it's personal preference, just as you have yours.

end of issue. :)

I think its important to note that its one thing to programme drums with soft ware or to replace drum sounds and while it may be the way of the future.... its another ballgame to record an actual live drum kit...with a variety of drummers approaching that kit differently....I have had drummers who tear down my kit and rebuild it back up, drummers who position things in the most odd manner that it makes miking it up tricky at times...

Joshua,

tearing down, rebuilding, drummers' approach - you can do that with the BFD also.

i think it's equally important to note that there's almost nothing software can't replace or supersede, in terms of drums.

i'm a drummer myself, and i'd humanise the drums the way i'd approach an actual kit.

turbochicken said:
Joshua,

tearing down, rebuilding, drummers' approach - you can do that with the BFD also.

i think it's equally important to note that there's almost nothing software can't replace or supersede, in terms of drums.

i'm a drummer myself, and i'd humanise the drums the way i'd approach an actual kit.

I understand this...I am an avid MIDI programmer myself, play a little drums...but the benefits of the software aside and questions as to whether studios use the software or not.... I just think you are glossing over the details behind what the software gives you in terms of tone or more importantly how they got that tone...which i thought was what we were discussing at some point...not every studio let alone TNT, or even Myx for that matter I believe,for their own individual setups has the specs that BFD claims for its samples...meaning a variety of really expensive drumkits recorded with a variety of super expensive microphones with a chain of really expensive classic outboard gear...and the whole physical approach to getting those tones, setting up of the mics, where to set them etc etc...

turbochicken said:
erm, i don't really get what you mean.

but doesn't matter. :)

What I meant is that you can't compare the drum sound quality of BFD samples which was recorded in a studio that probably charges 200 US bucks by the hour and is more fully equipped than all the studios in Singapore put together to say with your average recording studio in Singapore that charges an average of 60 bucks per hour....to do so is silly and shows a clear lack of understanding how things work in a real studio let alone the recording process in a real studio...

Using BFD doesn't give you a real understanding of what recording, not playing, a real drum kit is like. It gives you an idea but it doesn't give you a true appreciation of what drum recording is like unless you try it for real under what may be deemed less than desirable conditions, meaning anything but the BFD recording specs....then see if you can get those same drum tones or sounds as offered by BFD....

Its one thing to appreciate tone, its another to understand how that tone was obtained, and its another thing to use that understanding, if you have it, to truly critique a recording...

HI Grain,why don't we go drink coffee and scratch our balls.Remember to bring along some cartoon comic books. You have yet to return my MasterQ I told you its damm funny, you don't believe.I laugh for three nights.I give you back your Mr Bean video which was so boring

AHBOY said:
HI Grain,why don't we go drink coffee and scratch our balls.Remember to bring along some cartoon comic books. You have yet to return my MasterQ I told you its damm funny, you don't believe.I laugh for three nights.I give you back your Mr Bean video which was so boring

Ok we go drink coffee one of these days, but no need to read comic la... we go watch DVD better, now got many movies...hehhehhe

joshua,

you said:
"What I meant is that you can't compare the drum sound quality of BFD samples which was recorded in a studio that probably charges 200 US bucks by the hour and is more fully equipped than all the studios in Singapore put together to say with your average recording studio in Singapore that charges an average of 60 bucks per hour"

i say:
my initial msg was 'i was prefer myx to tnt', not bfd to tnt

you said:
"to do so is silly and shows a clear lack of understanding how things work in a real studio let alone the recording process in a real studio..."

i say:
i have done studio work, for drums. i know how they work.

you say:
"Using BFD doesn't give you a real understanding of what recording, not playing, a real drum kit is like. It gives you an idea but it doesn't give you a true appreciation of what drum recording is like unless you try it for real under what may be deemed less than desirable conditions, meaning anything but the BFD recording specs....then see if you can get those same drum tones or sounds as offered by BFD...."

i say:
i'm using BFD to program, but i'm humanising it according to how i'd play an actual kit. it's tedious, more tedious than getting the track laid physically in a studio. i wouldn't say it emulates 100%, but close. very close.

you said:
"Its one thing to appreciate tone, its another to understand how that tone was obtained, and its another thing to use that understanding, if you have it, to truly critique a recording..."

i say:
i appreciate BOTH. and i understand BOTH. and i'm saying, after everything, after all that understanding, that i prefer myx to tnt.
also, BFD to myx or tnt.

i rest my case.

Hi turbochicken,

No one is questioning your ability in humanising your drums programming, which I thought was as good as any professional out there.

But correct me if I'm wrong. Since you mentioned that you have recorded drums in an actual recording studio before and understand the whole recording process. I think it is unfair to compare the quality of BFD drums samples to any local studios in Singapore.

Here are just some of the outboard gears they used at Eldorado Recording Studio for BFD samples.

MPC_Compressor_Overheads.JPG

AvalonPreampsForOverheads_And_APIPresRoomAndPZM.JPG

MicPres_CustomModifiedAPI.JPG

ApogeeDigitalConvertors.JPG

PZMCompressors_Distressors.JPG

TheDesk.JPG

BFDCtrlRoom.JPG

hi Sean,

erm, i never said i was doubted for my humanising drums ability. :oops:

i know where you're coming from,

so if i rephrase, say, "with the type of equipment our local drums studios possess, i think the quality is decent."

would it sound better?

coz that's exactly what i think.

now, i said i prefer BFD to any local drum studio. and that's my preference. i'm not saying BFD is better for the SAME equipment used.

better light shed i hope?

Hi all, with all this arguements, i just can't help it but got to put my inputs too.
i would wanna say that sound is very subjective, some may agrees that one's mix can be good but some may say that the same particular mix can be really really bad.
and yes, the whole music production needs both the bands and the sound engineer expertise to make the whole product a good ones.
and equipments used plays an important part too in the whole music production.
there is so much recording studio these days but sad to say, it seems like, it became an affordable business because studio owners these days are just piling up their control room with tons of poor quality cheap toy equipment for example BEHRINGER, and they claims to be a professional studio.
From where i came from there, it became a laughing stock to own this brand.

AND DON'T GET FOOLED BY STUDIOS WITH CHEAP RATES CAUSE IT'S JUST NOT WORTH YOUR PENNY..!!!
Why even spend $10 an hour for a bad worthless product where you can have a good meal.
Anyway, the best solution when band's looking out for a place to record their product, do make an effort to enquiry and visit studios directly and start comparing and sees if it suits the concept of your music. I’m sure studio owners would gladly pass you a copy of their production.
With all respect to Ahboy’s being a legends or whatsoever for whatever the reason is, but if it is time to move on, we all just have to.
And being the MAN used to help the whole underground music doesn't justify anything about going to TNT to record.

yri

Yeah....... Ah boy...........

AhBoy rules.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!its not just the board, its the man behind e' board.

Couldn't open my BFD files, darn, however, have been playing around with quite a number of other drum samples from other discs. Yeah, they are pretty well recorded, but that is as much as it is.
It is tiresome to humanise a real drum movement, not that it can't be done, but it is tedious, very tedious. Time is money man!!!
I am an utter fan of recording drums directly by old school mic way, but i'm open to other approaches like using samplers and sample cds. Thatz why i have both types of gears in my studio.
I think towards the sense of arguments place, there really is no sense in it at all. The word is genre.... some genres do accept sampling drums method, especially those music that has quite some electronic feel in them etc... or hip hop??? But in terms of recording live band acts, old schoolz is still the way....
Why??
No 1: Tuning
Drums are normally tuned to the song and drum tuning doesn't follow a standard path. Every drummer has their own style of tuning. Though you can pitch shift your drum samples, but again it is extremely tedious to do it correctly.
No 2: Tonal Difference
Drum samples are recorded at only certain spots on the drum itself, not every spot to authenticate differences. Getting a live drummer to play would mean that the drummer is impossible to roll perfectly at the exact same spot, whiich these "mistakes" are really the live feel after all....
No 3: Dynamics
Volume is expression, this is something that is super super tedious to humanise....
So good luck to those who plan on using drum samples all the way, check your watch carefully, if it is not worth the time, why not spend on a real drumset after all....moreover, bands really need to play together to do good takes.
There is one tricky method which also can be used, but costly too.. That is to use an electronic drumset and get the drummer to play with the band, record as MIDI files, then resample in using drum samples. But again these electronic drumsets are only have tonal difference of maximum 3 zones, so still have to humanise....
Cheers!!! Why not u guys just go techno, solve all the problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BFD sucks.

period.

there's so much better stuff out there if u really know ur shit and nothing beats actually recording the damn drums in the 1st place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back