Help on Choosing Amp!

J.custom

Hi guys, I'm stuck between choosing these two great amps:
1)Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special 1x12 Combo
Pros: Great sounding drive, both for high gain and low gain stuff. Nice cleans as well. (Andy Timmons made me GAS for this amp!)
Cons: Lack of features, not so nice sounding reverb(heard some rumors abt it, someone confirm on this), may not be able to cover heavier stuff? eg.Prog Metal(Dream Theater, Mastodon)

Next amp:

2)Mesa Boogie Mark V 1x12 Combo
Pros: Versatile! able to cover a range of tones, from jazzy cleans, to bluesy crunch, to full on hi gain metal. Much more functions
Cons: Heavier, Even though has loads of functions it may get complicated. about USD400 more expensive compared to the Lonestar Special.

Anyone has any opinions of these two amps? I had GAS for the Mark V when it came out, died down for a while cos I couldn't afford one. Then I had GAS for the Lonestar for a while, now i'm starting to get some GAS on the Mark V again as I'm impressed by all the tones it can cover as well as it's features.

This amp will be used both for gigging as well as home practice. I usually play stuff like John Mayer, Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert/Racer X, Andy Timmons. Also getting into fusion stuff such as T-Square, Casiopea, Guthrie Govan and Greg Howe (but yet to reach that level of playing yet. heh)

Another problem, is that there is no chance of trying out either amps here in Singapore unless a friend has it and also because the nearest dealer is in KL.

Bentley's prices in KL is stupid. You'd be better off importing it in or something.

I can't say much on either amps, but this: can you turn it up in the first place? If you're not gonna crank it then the natural tube overdrive won't be as significant a quotient.

Mark V head if you're using more drive than clean.

Combo is versatile and doesn't produce as much punch.

Take note of the voltage. If it's in 110v then you will need a right transformer.

Mark V head if you're using more drive than clean.

Combo is versatile and doesn't produce as much punch.

Take note of the voltage. If it's in 110v then you will need a right transformer.

I would probably get the Mark V combo, but it has an external speaker output as well so essentially it can act as a head?

Yup will get a transformer. Unless there's a way to mod the amp to change the voltage to local voltage?

If the MkV you are getting has just come off the production line recently, it might have the additional voltage taps that the revised Dual and Rectifiers power transformers have. Then it's just a matter of rewiring.

If it doesn't, there are aftermarket power transformers that are meant for our mains voltage. After Googling, it seems that TAD's the only one who has this power transformer.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/english-store/Transf-MAINS-for-MESA-BOOGIE-MK-V-Export-pid-2020.htm

An alternative is to buy the amp from Europe, where they use similar mains voltage as us.

I would prefer the head + seperate cabinet. Though it would cost much more. It will be stupid to buy a combo and mod it to a amp head. For our local voltage, changing the power transformer will do. But it's pricey.

If the MkV you are getting has just come off the production line recently, it might have the additional voltage taps that the revised Dual and Rectifiers power transformers have. Then it's just a matter of rewiring.

If it doesn't, there are aftermarket power transformers that are meant for our mains voltage. After Googling, it seems that TAD's the only one who has this power transformer.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/english-store/Transf-MAINS-for-MESA-BOOGIE-MK-V-Export-pid-2020.htm

An alternative is to buy the amp from Europe, where they use similar mains voltage as us.

Yes it should be the one of those that has just come off the production line since I will only get it EOY or Jan next year.

Ouch extra hole in my pocket if i have to buy that transformer!!

I would prefer the head + seperate cabinet. Though it would cost much more. It will be stupid to buy a combo and mod it to a amp head. For our local voltage, changing the power transformer will do. But it's pricey.

Didn't say I will mod the the combo to a head because the function is already there. If I'm not wrong there's an external speaker jack at the back of the combo which will allow you to connect to other cabs.

Back