Guitar Refinishing

WiZaRd

Anyone here knows who i can consult for guitar finishing?

Any of you guys here did it b4 to your guitars?

I have an ibanez solid body guitar that i would like to refinish. The guitar neck is already out. Floyd out. Electronics and hums not yet. I'ld really wan to get the body refinished. It's surface scracthes are preety bad. :(

they do it for a minimum 150$ aT music factory. if u want a good custom job done im guessing itll be around 200-250.

Assuming you engage the service of the most expensive luthier available in town (which I assume will deliver the best result), I guess in total it can easily cost you $400-$500.

myyyy thats alottt... any good luthiers that can do it at a good price not too high?? music factoryy...its at parklane rights??

id recommend guitar workshop too. very meticulous in whatever they do so ure pretty much guaranteed a gd job. price wise i think is not too expensive. but then wat u pay for is wat u get. pay more den have a better job done.

I DIY my fender jap strat. Reason being i traded my epi LP for it, and wanted to change the pup from HH to SSS. I also hated the metallic blue, and dig the vintage cream colour. So i tot, since the guitar didnt mean much to me, it wont hurt to DIY.

So i spend a total of say $70(Lots of coats and compounds cost expensive) and lots of time!!!

Im happy i did it, but oh man the sanding was TIRING!!! One mistake is the i used clearcoats that took TOO long to harden. I tot it was dry, and put it on rough surface, nextday i found the shine gone and the surface rough. So had to resand it. Danger is that i sand through the cream coat.

My dad dropped it as well, so i improvised with a relic which i dig as well.

Put in a new pickguard fitted with kent armstrong tweedtone (Great afforeable PUPs) and did a Dan armstrong strat mod. However, i fitted the pickguard out of place slightly, and the pup pole pieces are not under the low E string... so its not perfect in a sense, but what the hack (a lesson learn)

Now i love my strat a hell lot.

Not the best strat in the mkt, but for what i did with it, and how it turned out, im proud to use it.

Sounds v gd with the kent armstrong pup and dan armstrong mod... My fren tried it as said it was fierce... But not sure how it measures up to the US made strats.

But DIY is alot of work, esp if you use sprays that take too long to harden (It may be dry, but it need to be hard), but the satisfaction is gd, so is the frustration.

I put up a pic when i get a digicam.

Hope i didnt sound like i was bragging... Just wanted to share the DIY experience, just in case anyone is considering it :)

hmm Weiht.. have a few qns:

1) what are the kent armstrong Pups like? high/low output? Suited for what applications?
2) Where did you get the Pups from?

haha anyway WiZaRd probably won't be doing as much as you... he's looking to bring the guitar back to original condition rather than making something new.

in addition to re-finishing..is it possible to change fingerboards...i got a samick SG..i tot it wld be great if instead of rosewood it has a maple fingerboard. do the shops do this?..Is it possible in the first place? :D

cereal - possible, but i think highly not recommended. you'd do much better getting a new neck with a rosewood fretboard.

cereal said:
in addition to re-finishing..is it possible to change fingerboards...i got a samick SG..i tot it wld be great if instead of rosewood it has a maple fingerboard. do the shops do this?..Is it possible in the first place? :D

I think this shld be possible, but i doubt it will be worth it. Personally, fingerboards shld not be considered as a refinishing (Unless ur toking abt JEM), becuase it does have different tonal character. If changing just for looks, i wld recoomend u find out if u wld prefer rosewood.

[/quote]

cereal said:

I think this shld be possible, but i doubt it will be worth it. Personally, fingerboards shld not be considered as a refinishing (Unless ur toking abt JEM), becuase it does have different tonal character. If changing just for looks, i wld recoomend u find out if u wld prefer rosewood.

thor666 said:
hmm Weiht.. have a few qns:

1) what are the kent armstrong Pups like? high/low output? Suited for what applications?
2) Where did you get the Pups from?

haha anyway WiZaRd probably won't be doing as much as you... he's looking to bring the guitar back to original condition rather than making something new.

Yo, I love the tweedtones. Not sure about the other kent armstrongs, but these sound really gd to me. Like vintage pups on steriods (but its not noiseless). Sounds like the way a strat shld, but with a little more bite(output). Much better than the mex strats i tried, those were weak n sterile to me. It is slightly bright tho, but it cld just be my amp. But the quack is definitely there dude...

Check this out
http://www.allthingsguitar.com/2003Reviews/kentarmstrong/armstrong.htm
http://www.gear-review.co.uk/reviews/tweedtone/

I got it for $180 plus shipping from ebay... Great guy, he actually sent me texas special by mistake, but i prefered something not that hot. So he paid for the shipment back n shipped me the new pup even before he received the wrongly sent one.

I can send you his email if u interested. BTW, my fren is selling some pup he took out for the 80s Fender jap strat plus the pcikguard(I believe theres the 50s, 60s, n 70s reissue model)... pm me if u interested

Wooooo.Thanks for your reply guys. Yeah thor is right. I would just wan to bring the guitar back to original condition. U really noe me. :D :D

Do check the EBAY ANYONE? thread.I've posted the pictures of the guitar that i wan to refinish.

Aniway too late. I sent it too guitar connection already. IT COSTED ME 100 DOLLARS!!! Really expensive to me. It was 120 he quoted. Manage to get him to lower to 100. Anyways the floyd rose is dismantled.I unscrew everyting to clean it up and later forgot how it was being placed.So i brought back to him with the neck unfixed the floyd OUT and dismantled.

What do you think of his price? After really being stabbed at the heart for charging me 100 dollars i later FOUND guitar workshop!! I really didnt noe where it was when i bumped to the shop at bras basah. They charge lesser there or sumting? THey do refinishing as well rights? any idea how much their charges are like?

hmm i didn't ask for a quote for buffing the finish. but don't think it'll be too expensive.

see that you have sent ur guitar to fix up... so probably u won't bother about the finish in the near future. (ma huan to take out and reinstall strings, lah... haha)

Wah $100 only ah, I paid $180 man, just for adjusting the action which involves some shaving of the frets, changing the switch, and basic setup, but very satisfied with the job. Once you get back your guitar you wont think abt the 100bucks already

Heyyy Thanks mann i Really hope for that too mann!! WHere did u send ur guitar??

Yeah Thor. Now i kinda regretted sendiing it for setup already.SHould have refinished it first. But i noe it would cost quite a sum . To remove the floyd, The neck, The humbuckers, Electronics, pots of knobs etc, then refinish it then put it back. I think it would really cost alot as lots of time is required.

Ialso send to guitar connection, I bought mine second hand, messed my bridge up, so had to send to professional haha

Back