Guitar recording

chocolates

hi peeps. I have a couple of microphones to use for my Acoustic Guitar REcording. This is the list.. AKG CS1000S, SE GEMINI, SE 2200A, NEumann TLM170R, SE 3 Stereo Pair. Among this few,which two or pair will you recommand me to use for my acoustic guitar recording and why ? I would like to have more Highs and brighter for the guitar sound.

PS:recording a POP music.

woah theres a rich list there. well you got to experiment but if you are taking in a stereo recording its better to have 2 of the same kind of microphone picking the left and right signals. this is because the character and the tone of the whats recorded would thus be the same. If so then i would have the two SE3 stereo pair to pick up the acoustic guitar L and R, and the TLM neumann to pick up the ambience of the recording.

i think for recording acoustic guitar, better to mic up the fretboard and the sound hole. not in left/right stereo.

to get high/bright sound, you can try to move the mic slightly away from the airhole.

but on the list for consideration too

the guitar
the strings
the way the musician play

best way to decide is to sit the guitarist in the center and set up all the mics to listen which one you like best.

that's what i would do.

my recommendations:

and i think it work out realli well

se gemini - sound hole *not too far
se 2200a - fretboard *not too far
se3 - overheads(1x) juz above the sound hole

if u wan a room mic swap the sound hole mic to TLM and use the gemini as room, but i strongly dun recommend it coz the TLM there is not working properly.... and forget abt the cs1000s....

the guitar also plays a very important part.... get a proper nice sound acoustic guitar

try that and let me know the results..... :)

nice mics

like what james(soft) suggests, put the mic away from the hole better.

www.myspace.com/stellastoryband

listen to "angels and phantoms" in the middle when the guitar comes in.

i used 2 rode NT3s, one at the fret (12th I think) and one at the hole. probably too close to the hole already. then maybe it sounds a little weird (actually okay to me la, but some audio engineer critics feedback tells me it sounds weird)

try out neuman TLM127 x 2 with power supply or KM184S, for lower budget, try x 2 C1000S, I think C1000S with be enough.

Back