Got problem playing fast on tom....

murderdolls

hi guys i need help over here.... when i put the o ring on my toms to reduce overtones it sound great but the problem is when i hit my tom it feels like very hard to play fast. i mean i like the feel of the drumhead without the ring.
with the o ring on it , it feels like very hard to play fast..

any help will be appreciate

.. Is your O Ring the Solid-Heavy-Brass Type people used in the 1970s kekekekeke, ...then maybe yes ....But - for Plastic O ring it should makes no differences actually here.

If you tune your Drum Head tight - then Rebound better of course - so you can play faster, but make it looser and it will be slower cause you wont be gettiing so much more rebound...but dont do this.

I do agree with Eric. Maybe you want to try adjusting the toms nearer to you so that you will be able to reach the toms easier & faster. But then toms will need to be the small ones if it is mounted on a bass drum for easy angle adjusting. Otherwise you will need the ones that hooks to yr crash cymbal or a separate snare stand if you are using the big ones.

I'm not sure if I'm answering yr questions correctly, but i hope it helps.

I think you've probably tuned your skin too high and maybe using single ply skins. You could probably

- tune your skin lower to cut the overtones
- get 2 ply heads so that it kinda works as o-ring
- get used to playing with o-rings. ;)

To be comfortable playing with different surfaces practice on differetn surfaces both hard and soft.

Right, Dennis Chambers practices his paradiddles, etc etc on a pillow...try this and you will learn abt rebound ! :)
Sorry, guess that was OT...!
Jan

Or do you mean that your sticks get caught in the o-rings? If that's the case, it just means that you have to work on your accuracy (ie. learn to hit in the MIDDLE of ur toms, unless you're trying to get different sounds from your toms... in which case you shouldn't use O-rings!)

If the problem is rebound (ie. you can't roll as fast on your toms as compared to your snare), then you've got to learn to work both with rebound and without rebound - ie. all technique.

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of practice on pillows because it damages your pillow and leaves wooden splinters in your pillowcase, so I would recommend that you head over to Nigels and pick up one of those practice pads that offer super low rebound - a bit pricy, but its totally worth it.

Back