Fender Strats.

Hey guys, was thinking of getting a strat. Was wondering, whats the diff between the fretboards? Like one is rosewood and another is maple? Am i correct?

Just wondering also, where can i get fenders other than GG and sweelee? Their prices are really sky high. Am thinking of Jap and US strats... Can gimme comments? Thanks guys.

www.ishibashi.co.jp

maple or rosewood fretboards are a personal preference.
you're gonna have to try a couple of strats to really feel the difference.. though the difference in sound will be quite obvious if A/B thru the same amp.

IMO maple have got brighter tone than rosewood...

my yamaha pac 112J strat copy feels very flimsy no idea why...

Actually, the current Swee Lee promotion prices for the 50th Anniversary Strats (standard $2100 and deluxe $2600) are reasonable prices for US made strats of excellent quality.

maple necks tend to be brighter... towards country (?), alternative rock (?)... imo more jangly-sounding.

rosewood necks tend to be better for certain types of rock - bon jovi during 80s, more classic rock kind.

i prefer the maple neck... cos it gives a twang that i can't really get in rosewood necks. also, sounds more vintage to me :)

ok not to offend anyone, but rosewood neck? i think thor meant rosewood fretboard yes? unless you are the estate of the late George Harrison who owned a rosewood tele...

maple has a treble inclination, if you wish for single note clarity, maple is the way to go (especially for those of us who solo in the neck humbucker/ pickup). however, players can't really make out that extra treble that they would hear from a maple fretboard guitar, it's really subjective.

luthiers would associate maple with single coil pickups & rosewood with humbuckers but it's not an exclusive association however, Gibson played out this matching game well. their humbucking guitars feature rosewood fretboards on majority of the models.

however, having owned maple fretboard guitars with humbuckers in them, i'd say these still sound fantastic. at the end of the day, it's amatter of what you wish to hear coming out from your guitar. i've even decided to equip my maple fretboard tele with a bridge humbucker permanently...

telecaster_pickups_close_up1.jpg

the Duncan Hot Rails humbucker has loads of bass in there (but not as much as the Invader) & it balances nicely with the bright maple fretboard + alder body...

subversion said:
the Duncan Hot Rails humbucker has loads of bass in there (but not as much as the Invader) & it balances nicely with the bright maple fretboard + alder body...

i thought of putting in duncan hot rails for my strat, but it has no maple fretboard so it wont be a good idea? would invader be better? my strat's with rosewood fretboard+alder body :?

vernplum said:
Actually, the current Swee Lee promotion prices for the 50th Anniversary Strats (standard $2100 and deluxe $2600) are reasonable prices for US made strats of excellent quality.

actually, these prices are kinda high for me, especially if you can get one brand new from the States for $1700. (check out musician's friend or music123). Shipping is just another $200. And in the States, the American Ann. Deluxe is only a US$100 upcharge from the American Ann. Strats. US$100 Approx. = SGD$160-180. Swee Lee's price difference of $500 is totally not justified, assuming the shipping is same. So what does Swee Lee have to say? "Shipping for American Ann. Deluxe is more expensive than the American Ann."

Hi,

You cannot lump Musician Friend's and Music123 together in the ranks of sweelee.

Firstly, they are US based and their terms with Fender is different with our sweelee.

Secondly, you CANNOT buy from either of them direct, they don't ship here because they are under contract on dealership. Dig deeper, there are such thing call distributions rights, like your territory and my.

Thirdly, they are volume based, they sell much higher volume, thus can negotiate a much lower cost than sweelee, which does not reflect the reccomended retail price.

Forthly you DO NOT get to see or try the product beforehand, which they save on the physical retail space and operation costs.

If you consider all these facts, you'll see that sweelee is just being fair in what they charge. I AM NOT a fan of sweelee either, cause they are rigid in their price to dealers too. But they do provide to fill in an enormous void, if they are not around, likely a lot of products will cost even more with small time dealers trying to control market.

Music123 ships internationally and even to S'pore. Yes I know the States is a different story all together, but its definately an alternative to buying instruments, its a true option to get your instrument (seen or unseen). I've worked with people from Wildwood Music, Willcutt Music and Magdon Music which are mostly US based distributors who ship internationally, and I still get a better deal than buying here. To each his own I guess.

Bruce: the Hot Rails in the strat is a fine choice, really. the fretboard difference has marginal contribution to tone. the Invader is also a good candidate, both humbuckers are low-end inclined & Fender's alder body has enough midrange to offset the bass input.

i'm also of the opinion that the Ann Strat pricings are fair here... the reason i bought one 8)

repulse87 said:
vernplum said:

actually, these prices are kinda high for me, especially if you can get one brand new from the States for $1700. (check out musician's friend or music123). Shipping is just another $200. And in the States, the American Ann. Deluxe is only a US$100 upcharge from the American Ann. Strats. US$100 Approx. = SGD$160-180. Swee Lee's price difference of $500 is totally not justified, assuming the shipping is same. So what does Swee Lee have to say? "Shipping for American Ann. Deluxe is more expensive than the American Ann."

The keyword I used is 'reasonable' taking into account all the things Mikemann said. I never said 'good'. :)

I know what sweelee is going to say:

Since you know so much, you go an buy on-line lah, why come here and waste my time, bo liao.........

Hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: ....

subversion said:
Bruce: the Hot Rails in the strat is a fine choice, really. the fretboard difference has marginal contribution to tone. the Invader is also a good candidate, both humbuckers are low-end inclined & Fender's alder body has enough midrange to offset the bass input.

i'm also of the opinion that the Ann Strat pricings are fair here... the reason i bought one 8)

Hey Subversion, which one did you get? I got the Deluxe:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89524751@N00/3089748/
(my third attempt at getting decent picture hosting for free...)

According to Jai at Swee Lee Sims, I was the 2nd person in Singapore to own it. Anyone out there claim to be #1? :)

Back