Epiphone SG

yeah, i dont remember seeing any of those in any guitar shops i've been too... unless you're gonna get it from the net...

if my eyes didn't deceive me, Davis has the Epi '61 SG.

if you aren't too Epi inclined, check out the Tokai SG...
Tokai_SG.jpg

Personally I have G-310 SG.

Here's what I think about it. Stock, it's pretty decent. Sturdy as hell. Can't chip off a bit of paint without taking off an entire chunk of wood as well.

Only complaint is the painted neck, sucks for feel, and when it gets all slick with sweat, ugh. But that's all personal preference.

There are alot of Epi SG's around. Second hand, that is. Check luthermusic classifiends. Swee Lee is selling an Epi Goth SG... 600? Something like that.

Only complaint is the painted neck, sucks for feel, and when it gets all slick with sweat, ugh. But that's all personal preference.

Grab some sandpaper and sand it down, make it smooooootttthhhh. Downside, it'll turn black with time :D

Oh? How so?

And I would like someone to help me out here.

As you all know, there is a vast price difference between Gibson and Epiphone.

And IMO, put the same pickups on say, an Epi Les Paul STD and a Gib Les Paul STD, and they sound pretty much the same. I really can't see the difference, nor do I understand how Gibson justifies its outrageous price tag.

Not that I have anything against Gibson or Eiphone, but someone please clear that up for me?

The reason between the price diff is the same as why the prices of fender and squier guitars are so different... imo i find a squier strat as gd as a fender 1 anyday... its to appeal to ppl who r jus starting to learn the guitar n have a low budget...

But the price difference between a Fender and a Squier isnt as drastic as a Gibson and a Epiphone.

And even the best Fenders can cost half of what a upper range Gibson can cost. I really dont think it's justified.

Basically gibbys are really top grade stuff. if you do a lil research. the wood they get are usually grade AAAA maple. cannot compare

seekz said:
Basically gibbys are really top grade stuff. if you do a lil research. the wood they get are usually grade AAAA maple. cannot compare

not all the time
i've seen unhappy customers with gibby instruments, which doesnt have the flamed maple top, which the catalog shows, and worse still, there are sharpie lines on the guitar itself, UNDER the coat, and then there are customers who get cracks and stuff. Their quality control is really going down the drain.....

if Im paying $4000 for a guitar it better be fricken perfect! no scratch, no "we have the right to change wood without customer notice" BS!!!!
:evil:

what bugs me is their prices are still astronomical even tho they arent using top quality wood :(

but yeah its "Gibson", ppl will still buy it, just dont buy one without trying it out first

seekz said:

not all wood in the Gibsons are graded materials. even if they are, they don't contribute to tone exponentially. graded wood is meant to appeal visually. if the manufacturer uses graded wood & employs a solid finish, it defeats the purpose...

partyanimal said:
dont think any of those models are available in singapore.. hehe.. :)

If im, not wrong they brought in a piece of the g-400 SG in Guitar77 recently. Not sure if they've sold it yet though.

subversion said:
not all wood in the Gibsons are graded materials..

As much I'm a Gibson fan, I have to agree with Subversion. Also, the wood gradings from different wood mercantile associations are different. AFAIK, for a Gibby to get AAAA maple, the only route is custom shop. Even the LP Supreme is at AA top only.

You said something about doing research.

I did some, and the flame maple top, which you claim is AAAA justifies the $6,000 price tag? No way.

First of all, there are both FMT and regular finish Gibsons costing like 4,000 - 6,000

Secondly, flame maple top, whatever grade, is only used for aesthetical purposes. its like a covering. doesnt drastically improve anything except viewing pleasure.

+1 to subby. He's my hero.

Back