Epiphone G-400 (Faded edition)

subversion

epiphone_vintageg400.jpg

Epiphone G-400 (Faded edition)
List: $800

There is a valid apprehension when one considers an Epiphone for purchase; the wood type beneath the paint is always of questionable nature & does not match the manufacturer’s specification. The reason why many players kick up a grand fuss over this issue is simply because the Epiphone brand name is a legitimate subsidiary of Gibson so buyers expect a spill-over in terms of quality, build & wood type but the learned among us would know better than to expect such inheritance. Nevertheless, there is very little room for swindling with the Faded G-400; there is no paint to hide the claim.

Construction/ fit/ finish
It is all too obvious which popular Gibson counterpart the G-400 mimics, the satin finish here isn’t a fresh idea either as Gibson does churn out its own version of this bare feel (to date: Les Paul Standard/ SG Special faded edition, among others). As there is virtually no paint to testify sloppy applications, this G-400 scores top marks in finishing. The fit of its hardware scores likewise; the main gripe with this particular model is its rather dry fretboard, especially at the 1st fret/ nut location; nothing some lemon oil won’t cure.

Playability/ tone
If you aren’t too familiar with satin finishes, it’s all about bare wood. The feel of this G-400 suggests a thinner oil stain compared to its Gibson’s counterpart (this reviewer owns the latter) thus making it lightweight in its overall presence. We have to applaud Epiphone for the wood grain selection for this guitar because whatever other shortcomings it possesses, it is deservedly off set by its very attractive looks. There are no complaints pertaining to the well-crowned & fitted frets here, same goes for its tune-o-matic bridge component; no unexpected sharp edges either. Bend mongers & shred meisters alike will find the neck’s wide & round profile very accommodating.

Moving on to tone, we should be thankful that this G-400 is equipped with a special set of humbuckers instead of some insipid units; 57 (neck) & Hot (bridge) if you please. The manufacturer got it right by equipping this guitar with a warm neck counterpart in contrast to its drive-inclined sibling; not a unique formula really, it’s been done by Ibanez for its current SZ models. What you can dial up from this guitar are some of the warmest midrange honk from the neck, quite a surprise really, coming from an inexpensive instrument. For all other high gain necessities, the bridge pickup will oblige. Lower the volume & restrain your gain to get that AC/DC-like open spank with both humbuckers in use, of course, higher volume settings do help.

Conclusion
This reviewer isn’t particularly too pleased with other G-400 makes the manufacturer has to offer due to some sloppy finish & ill-defined inherent tones common in lower mid-priced guitars, but this Faded offering has lots of good, well-defined midrange to make it sing. To some of us, the bare satin feel needs a little getting used to but it sure beats sticky, finished necks any time. The Faded G-400 is a fantastic first time guitar for many of us, it definitely gets a recommendation for a superb back up unit in your arsenal. While some of us would prefer a thicker bottom end response to avoid sounding too unpleasant, this guitar will do well with an EQ pedal supplement.

Rating: 8/10

• Overall tone & playability

Dislikes:
• Might be deemed to be lacking in bass to some of us

Worthy competitors:
• Ibanez AXS42
• LTD Viper 50
• Hamer SATQ

Hmm.

Subversion, I think you also missed out on this fella's neck-diving tendency...

And also aren't the pickups the same as the cherry-red G-400 in gloss finish?

nope.

cherry red standard model features a pair of alnico humbuckers. faded version has a '57 neck + Hot bridge.

if we are familiar with a typical Gibson SG, the neck dive issue should be an acknowledged eccentricity by now...

wow thanks for the review, i was thinking of getting this guitar or a tokai one. can i ask someting real noob? which one is better? lol.

there is a Tokai SG (last piece) @ Davis. it's not satin finished like this one, hence more inherent bass & very pleasant tones.

try both guitars, get the one which is most appealing to you, nevermind the brand name.

pardon me but, i've seen a few of these for sale lately..
most have been fitted with Seymour Duncans, particularly a SH-1, and a SH-5..
to those who own this configuration for your g-400, can you give a review on these specs compared to the normal pups?
im quite happy with my tone actually, but a lil extra info wont hurt right?

the Duncans would reward those in search of more bite (in the midrange particularly but depends on the model per se) & the guitar's acoustic manifestations. then again, some people hear the diff, others think it's hallucination.

not sure about cost, you can call Swee Lee to check though.

hardware wise, they come with Alnico V humbuckers.

and specially because it's Epiphone.. the body and neck wood is allegedly mahogany.

Edit: ok sorry ;p specially because it's a finished Epiphone. that should make a difference lol.

Last edited:
You may say allegedly, but this faded edition does not mask the wood grain..
One could tell what wood this guitar is made in.. In fact, it doesn't matter what wood is used, as long as what you hear is what you like!

Great review, just curious when were the pick up changed for the faded series?

Epiphone's website still state that they are Alnico HB.

I own this guitar. I love this guitar. But, my pickups are the Alnico Humbuckers. I bought it last year, online from Swee Lee, stated very clearly that it is Alnico Humbuckers.

Sounds like a dream, nevertheless. Well, at least to me, it does. The midrange does get very "piercing" but just have tweak the equalizers abit.

Really good guitar for all sorts of genre. And the neck is smooth and sexy.

I love my darling!

I have this fetish (if you may call it) for SGs,i myself own a epiphone 1966 g-400 vintage, i find it very very smooth and shiok (kimochi)to play, haha. but really, it's build for a lead guitarist but the sound suits a rythm more. It just doesn't have that extra "garang"-ness or that "ummph" to satisfy the lead capabilities unless you have an eq to go along with it or your the only guitarist in a band. other than that, this guitar is best suited for a guitarist who is looking for great handling

Latest posts

Back