Duncan/Ibanez pickups...

NewGuy

Can anyone tell me what pickups are those, it came stock with my guitar. The duncan/ibanez came stock with my sz320 but I dunno what pickup those are. Is it the same as duncans sold individually or got difference in specs... pls help...

they are ibanez pups designed by duncan if im not wrong, according to the ibanez site they are " Alnico magnet neck pickup/ceramic magnet bridge pickup) specially designed by Seymour Duncan and Ibanez for the SZ."

they are not simillar with the "real" seymour duncan pups...

to me, the improvement isn't slight- it's a deserving upgrade for a set neck unit. more bass/ midrange in the bridge, more transparency in the neck.

the Duncan IBZ models in the SZ series are modelled after 2 popular Seymour Duncan models (as mentioned in my review): Duncan Distortion (bridge)/ '59 (neck).

What is the difference then? Difference as in comparing to the duncan pickups they were suppose to model after...

After playing around with my guitar for a while, I start to appreciate the tone and volume noobs... but I realise something to, that different string got diff loudness is this attributed to the pickup height?

If the same pickup were to be put on the neck as oppose to the bridge, how would it sound, the same?

Thanks for the input guys, really new to such stuff...

yes, loudness & pickup height has a trade-off.

as oppossed to the off-the-shelf Duncan Distortion/ '59, these pickups are made in korea + they were fine tuned for the SZ models.

Bridge pups are wound hotter, so if u were to place a bridge pup in ur neck, you would have to get a even hotter/or as hot a pup in ur bridge to balance it up

NewGuy said:
... but I realise something to, that different string got diff loudness is this attributed to the pickup height?

Thats 1 thing... if your treble side of the pup is higher, you might experience louder treble strings...

The other thing is you might want a compressor. :) Evens things out nicely. BUt of course, this isn't an essential tool right now for you... so yeap, do a google on them... interesting stuff...

Basically, pups are eq-ed for either the neck or bridge.

Since at the bridge, the tones are generally brighter and more harmonically responsive, plus clearer and thinner sounding... the bridge pups tend to less bright (to knock off the brightness) and thicker sounding. Of course, there are bridge pups that do otherwise but this is the general idea.

The neck area has a "looser" tone... not as tight as the bridge, less harmonically responsive and thicker sounding. Plus its darker there. Neck pups tend to focus on clarity and brightness.

You can imagine if you put a bright, hot bridge pup in the neck... its going to sound difference definately. Some like it, some don't... up to you.

Thanks guys... Bro sub and shredcow, You're the MAN!!! haha... thanks for the info...

I think I better save up for a proffessional set-up first and see how things go... I am still exploring the tonal varsity... when the time comes for an upgrade may want to seek your help again... haha... (been gasing real bad)

haha... I better start learning to but that "gasing" energy to good use...

Back