Cort: M-200

subversion

M200.jpg

Cort M200
List: $400

Do you have lots of money to splurge on a guitar in order to acquire ruputable tone & playability? You don't? Well then, it's rather unfortunate that you have to be content with a compromised guitar but Cort's M200 will tell you that it's not a dead end… yet.

Construction/ Fit/ Finish
This M200's finish will not leave you awestruck as it doesn't feature any cosmetic adornments- no binding, no flame top, no abalone dot inlays... what you get with this guitar is a very well-made fundamental player. Despite the simplicity, this M200 managed to emanate a sturdy feel & will put many other starter guitars to shame with regards to a lasting first impression.

There are no unbecoming marks/ scratches/ dents/ paint blobs that would render this guitar a substandard ware. Constructional warts are probably masked beneath the splendid finish- what you can't see won't hurt you.

Rating: 90%

Playability/ Tone
Accolades for this guitar are extended to its tone. This reviewer had come across very few guitars in this price bracket which sound impressive, in the knowledge that the default electronics are probably dubious, nameless entities. The twin humbuckers here are outstanding driven & clean. What you hear from the pickups is an accentuated voicing of a suitably massed body. In this case, Cort did well to appropriate an agathis body with a suitable film of finish, the result of which is simply magical. The M200 has a healthy concoction of bass, midrange & treble- nothing too overtly bright or boomy in various settings. Listening to the default tone alone is enough to convert skeptical buyers into submission but the M-200 has to impress with its playability also.

The dual cutaway design here isn't exactly refreshing, it's a fusion of the beloved SG & PRS outline the overall measurements are trimmed to give you maximum playing comfort. The curved top is a reminder that good features are not exclusive to extravagant price tags. Flip the guitar over & you'll see a massive heel that threatens to restrict your upper fret adventures- this remains prejudicial until you play this M200. Cort’s choice of jumbo frets simply enhances playability; it's a breeze to handle in all neck registers- unbelieveable, really.

Tone test equipment:
• Amp- Peavey Bandit

Rating: 90%

Last say
This M200 is a steal for its asking price. It's easily one of the best sounding/ playing entry level guitars out there, only the snobbish/ foolish will write it off their list. Although the feel & tone isn't boutique grade, it's a very pleasant encounter from the moment you pick it up.

Seasoned players might deem the M200 lacking in mass; it’s threatening to be too bright in the middle frequency if you happen to plug it into a diminutive practice amp. However, it’s nothing a good EQ pedal can’t cure. All in all, this guitar is a sure winner with beginners (especially the price tag) & established players banking on a reliable back-up unit; its playability factor is simply impressive. The curved top of this guitar adds insult to many starter units- how many other entry-level makes do you know sport such a player-friendly/ visually fine feature?

You will not get a visually captivating guitar with this M200, it's anything but. However, be prepared to acknowledge an affordable winner. Who says good tone is beyond reach?

Overall rating: 90%

• Price tag

Dislikes:
• Vol/ Tone pots could have been smoother
• Tuners are not of equal tension

Worthy competitors:
• Ibanez GSZ120
• LTD Viper-50
• Squier M-80

Last edited:
List price means: before discount. the review list price is swee lee's list price. i'm not too sure if the M-200 is still available...

i'm super slow with reviews these days, i would rant at my blog first before putting up some concrete appraisals here... bear with me, please :cool:

Back