Coated Strings

MusicPebbles

Hi guys, I've recently been a been user of DR coated strings since my hand sweats quite abit and last time when used uncoated ones i have to change them about every 1-2 weeks.

Ever since i used the coated ones my life has CHANGED, i dun nid to chage them as often and can enjoy guitar more. The thing now is i'm looking for strings that are coated BUT not in colour, i would prefer normal colour strings which are silver in colour are these possible?

i've heard that Ernie ball has introduced the Slinky coated and elixers.
WHat are the best coated strings u guys think?

The Titanium Reinforced Ernie Ball coated Slinkys are great, I use them on all my guitars, minimal "flaking" and feel like normal strings.

Sorry can't help you there, have never tried DRs except for a few years ago with the Black Beauties, but all the stuff started flaking off so I replaced them before they got really rusty because it was pretty annoying.

I'd say that I've had a set of Elixirs on a Strat for about 3 months and it did not show signs of rusting, despite having been played almost every single day. The Slinkies do not last that long (mine's showing slight rusting after a month), but then again they're much cheaper and they don't have the strange rubbery texture that's an attribute of the Elixirs.

I used to fancy coated strings.. but now i just stick the earnie ball uncoated strings..

Coated strings flakes off upon vigorous playing.. i tried the earnie ball coated but the coating flakes off abt 3 wks into play and DR are worse.. it flakes off within one week..

When the strings flakes off, it just look fugly.. and sooooo not cool..

Just stick to the uncoated strings, wipe after play and apply fast fret.. it can last abt a mth or a mth and a half.. good enuf for me..

yeap i wish i could stick with uncoated but after one hour the string will turn black seriously SO NOT Cool i rather it Flake haha, is the ernie balls flake obvious

yeap i wish i could stick with uncoated but after one hour the string will turn black seriously SO NOT Cool i rather it Flake haha, is the ernie balls flake obvious

haaha.. the earnie will flake off on the upper frets.. i dunno whether its me or wat, but those G B E (unwound strings .09 standard tuning) always seemed to loose its coating.. maybe i slide a lot.. i dunno man..

then like wat u mentioned, once the coating is gone, it will turn black and will rust.. =( ...and im like thinking...... my MONEY!!!

the thing im not sure abt coated strings is tat, shud we wipe after play?
Wiping the strings will wear out the coating rite?

tats why to avoid confusion, i just stick to uncoated strings..

PLUS POINT abt the earnie ball coated strings
-very "elastic"
-very shiny and polished, "silver-ish"
-feels smooth as silk..

I loveD it but once it flakes.. the only thing i think abt is my MONEY...

Tip for prolonging string life: BUY ERNIE BALL WONDER WIPES. They cost like $9 for a huge roll of wipes that'll last you months, and they make your strings last much much longer. Plus they're disposable and so numerous you won't think twice about wiping them down after every session. The other two products in the Wonder Wipes range are also highly recommended. And I was not paid to say this.

Strings

hey bro DR strings have served me faithfully although the area where you pick, the string colour will wear off fast. However the string have never really flaked off in my case :D Anyway DR has this strings called the silver stars. They are coated but are silver in colour and i think they function in the same way as the ernie ball coated strings. Worth giving em a try though

i like my coated DRs!!

ibanez+rgr+yellow+green+strings.JPG

Back