change neck (guitar)

gear_lover

will it affect the guitar if i change neck of my worn out fret to another neck?
don tok abt money coz this is my 1st guitar and i really treasure it...plz any1 help

It will definately affect the sound to a certain extent, depends on what wood you use la. I'm getting a jumbo neck soon cause normal neck too small for me. But theres not a big difference la just get a good neck from someone reliable. Sometimes it will turn out better than your previous neck if you willing to spend abit more.

Keep in mind that not al necks are drop in replacements. The new neck may not fit at all, even if it fits into the joint, other factors may not be aligned. If you really want to keep that guitar, get it refretted.

ok....but wat bt the fingerboard...it looks like its dehydratted coz i can see some white colour lines on the fingerboard
any recommendation?

man_kidal said:
It will definately affect the sound to a certain extent, depends on what wood you use la. I'm getting a jumbo neck soon cause normal neck too small for me. But theres not a big difference la just get a good neck from someone reliable. Sometimes it will turn out better than your previous neck if you willing to spend abit more.

how much did u bought ur jumbo neck

The white lines are probably residue from your guitar polish or something. Can try using a soft bristled toothbrush to brush it clean (brush lightly along the grains). I guess it's ok for the fingerboard to be dry. Actually, the dryer it is, the better it vibrates? Some ppl like to put lemon oil on the fingerboard to keep it moist and smooth, though.

Another thing with replacement necks is to ensure that the string length is correct. I haven't replaced my necks before so can't tell you much but my guess is that if the string length after installation is not right, your intonation may go haywire, perhaps out of the limits of your brigde adjustments.

A safer bet would be to redress the frets or refret, the later costing more. But there's less chance of screwing up the guitar.

A total refretting job will cost around $200-$250 as reasonable price, as it's will take the craftsman about one whole day in time at least to get it done.

Don't get some unknown or lobang deal like labour fee $6 per fret. You'll end up with a worst playing neck, and badly chipped fret wire area. A total job includes the final dressing and fretboard touchup to make it look and feel new.

A new neck can cost between $250-$400 on average by itself. If you includes the fitting out cost and things like tuners...etc. you can see how the cost will go. Again this cannot DIY unless you are experienced cause not so simple to process a NECK BLANK to a final neck with good proper heel fitting.

Thus it's only for the guitar of certain minimum value or sentimental value.
Unless you are rich of course, and spending $1k a day on personal shopping is the norm for you.

Changing the fingerboard involves the use of heat/steam to remove the old board, which is risky. Uneven drying will cause your neck to warp. 8O so not a good idea.

is it gd way to polish ur fingerboard instead?
is there any liquid solution tat can cover the scratches on guitar body?

live33 said:
I guess it's ok for the fingerboard to be dry. Actually, the dryer it is, the better it vibrates? Some ppl like to put lemon oil on the fingerboard to keep it moist and smooth, though..

too dry no good...u will have prob sliding...big big problem . I have 2 packs of moisture absorbers in my guitar bag after the next morning when i played it , i could not slide and i kept seeing my finger skin fly everywhere....just balance between dry and moist.

Best place to get Jumbo in my opinion is that shop at bras basah near swee lee there. The guy there(the young dude) said his shop some main dealer in jumbo necks. But seriously i need one. My hand size like SRV and buckethead really damn big cause im just a lanky fellow.

Latest posts

Back