Bass String "dead" in 1 month ..

sLapshock

Recently i put my bass on a stand in my room, no more in the softbag. and my room is 12 horus air-conditioned a day at night. so i want to is that the cause of my string to "dead" and not crisp anymore.

oxidation :) clean ur strings with mineral spirits thoroughly with a cotton swab and they'll sound new again.

i dunno ! i m a noob ! but uncle dennis @ guitar 77 sold me a spring cleaner for like 4.50 ... pretty much inexpensive stuff

String cleaners work too. But more economical to use for "maintenance" rather than for reviving dead strings. $4.50 for 60ml is a big difference from $2 for 1 litre for mineral spirit. Using string cleaner to "soak" a cotton swab can be rather costly too. :)

Personally, I opt for mineral spirits as I leave my main bass at my rehearsal studio which I use once a week, and the amount of oxidation after a week cant really be offset simply by light wiping using string cleaner.

Anyway if ur gonna use string cleaner, lightly soak a cotton bud with it, and clean over and under ur strings before and after u play. Avoid letting the chemical come in contact with ur fingerboard.

Another solution is, well, if ur rich enough and have loads of time, change strings every other week :)

OooO icic ... then is there any difference between e cleaning effectsof minerAL spirits and string cleaners ? no rite ? all e same !?

hmmz ... y cotton bud and not cloth ?

stars said:
OooO icic ... then is there any difference between e cleaning effectsof minerAL spirits and string cleaners ? no rite ? all e same !?

hmmz ... y cotton bud and not cloth ?

I doubt there's much difference. Just that string cleaner is nicely packaged, labelled and marked up in price. Cotton bud/swabs are disposable, so the dirt/oxidation u clean off the first place dun get thrown back onto the strings the second time u clean em :wink:

Denatured alcohol works great - it's far more economical than string cleaner too :)
Tips for extending string life (only to be followed if you're super an*l about stuff like this...
- Wash fingers before playing
- Wipe down strings after playing
- Use string protector
- Boiling strings (I don't recommend it, but some people stake their life on this method...)

Or you could just buy coated strings like elixirs if you save up a little more. If you don't like the feel of coated strings, may I suggest Ritter swordsteels to you then! If you're interested, I have a 4 string set to sell ;) If you like, PM me for more info!

I guess dead strings happen... I use string cleaners (last time gibson now kyser... the latter smells like chinese massage oil man) to try slow down the process. Solvents? I personally won't try coz a bit of that on my finish might take some off o_O

squidospyder said:
I guess dead strings happen... I use string cleaners (last time gibson now kyser... the latter smells like chinese massage oil man) to try slow down the process. Solvents? I personally won't try coz a bit of that on my finish might take some off o_O

Acetone will take finish off. Methanol, denatued alcohol, white spirits, etc won't take off a cure finish. Most guitar finishes are plenty hard. Even strong paint remover may not always work.

This one don't need brand one... try hardware shops - those kind of ah pek ones. Ask for alcohol cleaner or methanol (be careful - they're highly flameable...). They usually come in large glass bottles.

Whatever it is, don't go home with a bottle of acetone or thinner... that's definitely NOT it.

cherns said:
This one don't need brand one... try hardware shops - those kind of ah pek ones. Ask for alcohol cleaner or methanol (be careful - they're highly flameable...). They usually come in large glass bottles.

Whatever it is, don't go home with a bottle of acetone or thinner... that's definitely NOT it.

haha . ... problem is ... ah pek dun understand the english word called methanol ... give us thinner or wad ... hmmz anyway wanted to ask something like those branded "string cleaner"rite ... if they have string lubricator isit worth it ? cos when i went to smell e tihng it smelt just like those kinda alcohol swab or industrial grade alcohol

p.s how do we ask ah pek for methanol ?

sLapshock said:
what is the bottle name?? i mean the cleaner what its name?

Err i hope you're asking me but i'll answer anyway haha. The one i'm using now is by the brand Kyser, its called Dr Stringfellow string cleaner and lubricant. I swear it smells like chinese massage oil. Got it from swee lee for arnd 5 bucks i think. Not bad actually. Everytime i take out my bass at a gig/jam its kinda therapeutic, smell the thing like after massage haha.

Latest posts

Back