bass action

now my problem is that the string are quite hard to press. should i lower the action or get lighter strings? thanks.

i'm assuming that you are using your fingers to pluck.

if you don't wish to change the action, you can try plucking closer to the neck, it'll be easier on your fingers as the tension is looser, but the tone will get more muddy.

pluck closer to the bridge, and you'll get a more defined "light" tone and a loss of bottom. you gotta use your strength to pluck to get a decent volume. a good example of near bridge plucking would be the flea's last part of rhcp's "funky monks".

if u have a set of tools at home, u should be able to do it urself. most bridges have adjustable action. on each saddle are 2 screws.

by using a 1.5mm allen key, u can either tightn or loosen the screws to achieve ur ideal height.

u might want to watch out for relief in the neck because it might be curved too much, in that case u should adjust your truss rod in your neck. u must first loosen it by 1/4 turn then tightening it. don't tighten too much though, a little goes a long way. there should be some relief still though, otherwise all frets will sound dead because of straight neck.

u must then check ur intonation. meaning the accuracy of pitch of the frets. u must have a tuner. after u have tuned the strings to the correct pitch, fret the 12th fret and check the pitch. if it is not right, adjust the screw that's behind in the back of the bridge. the one with a coss head. if the pitch is too flat, tighten the screw, if it is too sharp, then loosen it.

oh.. one more tip, be sure to stretch ur strings by pulling it after every adjustment.also, when u tune ur strings, always tune up to the desired pitch, not down by loosening. this will ensure that there is no unreleased tension behind the nut.

save ur $25!!

Back